-

-

Men’s Golf

Men’s team to compete at Colleton River Collegiate

| Monday, March 2, 2020

The No. 12 ranked Notre Dame men’s golf team is looking to get their first tournament victory of the spring season as they head to Bluffton, South Carolina to play in the Colleton River Collegiate early this week. The tournament will be played at the 7,167-yard, par-72 Pete Dye Golf Course and will consist of 54 holes played over two days, with 36 holes played on Monday and 18 holes played on Tuesday. 

Notre Dame will be eager to get out on the course after their visit to the TPC Dorado Beach Classic in Puerto Rico on Feb. 23 in which the Irish finished 9th out of 15 and shot a total team score of 290 at two over par, despite leading the tournament early on. The TPC Dorado Beach Classic was cut short after just one round due to heavy rain. 

The Irish enter the week with a 71-10-0 record for the season and a ranking of No. 12 according to Golfstat and No. 21 according to Golfweek. Notre Dame has a team average of 281 strokes per round with their lowest 54-hole finish being 821 strokes at the Quail Valley Collegiate in the fall, where freshman Palmer Jackson finished first overall for the first time in his collegiate career. The Irish are a total of 76 under par through 16 tournament rounds. 

The Colleton River Collegiate will host arguably its most competitive field yet, with three more top-100 teams participating in the tournament than last year. Michigan State will host the tournament, and the Irish will play against Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Georgia Southern, Eastern Michigan, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kent State, Rutgers, Ohio State, Memphis, Miami and Oakland University. 

Notre Dame will take the course with a new lineup for the Colleton River Collegiate, with freshman Palmer Jackson, seniors Hunter Ostrom and Davis Lamb, sophomore Andrew O’Leary and sophomore Taichi Kho competing as a team, and senior John Felitto playing as an individual. Jackson has the best stroke average of the Irish contenders at 70.31 strokes per round. Ostrom has the second-best average at 70.44 strokes per round, followed by senior Davis Lamb at 71.44, sophomore Taichi Kho at 71.54, and sophomore Andrew O’Leary at 72.06. 

Play at the Colleton River Collegiate will begin on Monday, March 2, at 8:15 a.m., with live updates available on Golfstat.com.

Tags: , , , , , ,

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report