University places restrictions on travel to Level 3 coronavirus areas

In preparation for spring break, any student, faculty or staff member who chooses to travel to China, South Korea, Italy or Iran — which have been placed at a Level 3 travel advisory warning because of COVID-19 — may not return to campus until they have self-isolated for 14 days and received proof of medical clearance from a physician, said Paul Browne, vice president for public affairs and communications, in an email to the campus community.

1583365372-2cbc878fb0cd8c1-700x474

Any visitors or residents from a country which has been designated a Level 3 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) must also self-isolate for 14 days and obtain medical clearance, the email said.

In addition, the University has cancelled its 2020 summer programs in China and Italy. Other study abroad programs will continue, provided that travel advisories for the countries in question remain below Level 3.

The 106 Notre Dame students who’ve returned to the U.S. from Italy will work with Notre Dame International and their relevant academic deans to discuss individual academic plans. While Browne said some of the students will return to Notre Dame, some may stay home but still have the option to return if their academic plan allows.

The Emergency Operations Center and Emergency Response Policy Committee have worked together to monitor coronavirus developments and orchestrate responses as the situation changes.

“Words cannot adequately express the appreciation we have for the many people who worked tirelessly to execute on the decision to suspend the programs and bring our students back,” Browne said in the email.