-

-

We deserve better

| Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Did you know Joe Biden is facing sexual assault allegations? Maybe you did, because you are on Twitter a lot and noticed the recent #TimesUpBiden trend. Most of you, though, were probably unaware because no mainstream news sources have chosen to follow up on the story. Better yet, Joe Biden has yet to even address these allegations or be questioned about their veracity during his interviews.

Tara Reade, a former Democratic aide, accused Biden of sexually assaulting her in 1993.

His campaign, not Biden himself, issued a statement saying, “Women have the right to tell their story, and reporters have an obligation to rigorously vet those claims. We encourage them to do so, because these accusations are false.” 

I understand Donald Trump faced sexual harassment allegations leading up to the 2016 election and still won. I understand Brett Kavanaugh faced allegations leading up to his appointment to the Supreme Court. Clearly, the allegations did not damage their chances.

However, the public received adequate information about each case as they were discussed extensively on cable news. Joe Biden’s allegation, though, will not receive an ounce of coverage because the mainstream media will assume he is innocent, because he is a Democrat and because he is running as good old moral “Uncle Joe.”

What were this week’s Joe Biden headlines? I’m glad you asked. “Joe Biden’s inner circle: No longer a boys club” and “Joe Biden’s business allies are pushing Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar as potential VP picks” were two of the top pieces on Biden this past week.

Imagine: not only does the media choose to ignore the fact that Biden is facing sexual assault allegations, but they are pushing out pieces and headlines that make Biden seem like he is supporting women in such a profound way. It is absolutely astounding that these outlets are trying to hide reality and sway voters. These news outlets should be reliable, credible sources. Yet, this instance proves their inherent biases. 

One common defense by Biden supporters is that these allegations are nearly impossible to prove, and it’s simply Biden’s word against Tara Reade’s. I understand the argument, but there are two problems with it. For one, Biden himself said, “For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real.”  

So, according to his own standards, we should believe Tara Reade. But, not surprisingly, very few people are drawing attention to these allegations, and some are even spinning a conspiracy theory that Reade has Russian ties. Secondly, Biden’s allegation is no more provable than Kavanaugh’s. Yet, when Kavanaugh’s allegation from a high school party came out, the mainstream media jumped all over him and Democrats overwhelmingly appeared to believe Christine Blasey Ford. Oh, the hypocrisy.

The media simply cannot call themselves “unbiased” if they react differently to a situation based on whether the candidate is a Republican or a Democrat. It’s amazing that these major news organizations cannot understand what a third grader can. 

At this point, I’m sure most of you assume I’m a Trump supporter touting his “fake news” agenda. However, I’m not. I am as moderate as they come, and I was actually looking forward to voting for the first time. I was ready to support whoever became the Democratic nominee. When the media treats such a situation in this manner, though, it makes it incredibly difficult to want to vote for anyone.

It was apparent from the beginning sources such as CNN and MSNBC desperately pushed for a Biden presidency, unfairly covering Bernie Sanders and putting incorrect graphics up for candidates like Andrew Yang. The establishment has gotten their way, just like in 2016. And it’s all thanks to the mainstream media. 

We, as an American people, deserve better. I’m tired of the political opinion shows hosted by Don Lemon, Rachel Maddow, Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson and others. Give us the damn facts, cover each candidate fairly and impartially, don’t blatantly choose a political side, ask questions that are actually going to help the public and bring on guests who are legitimately informed on the issues.

I shouldn’t have to search Twitter to find out that Joe Biden has a sexual assault allegation against him, and he certainly shouldn’t be able escape a town hall on CNN without facing a single question about the alleged assault. This is a failure on the media to do their job of informing the American people, and it is exactly what led to Trump’s first victory. Apparently, they want a second term. 

Tommy Diehl is a freshman from the Chicago area majoring in science business and global affairs. When he’s not writing for the Observer, he can be found playing guitar, running or cheering for the Cardinals and the Packers. Tommy loves feedback and can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @tommydiehl5

About Thomas Diehl

Contact Tommy