-

-

What to know: COVID-19’s impact on the tri-campus community

| Monday, March 16, 2020

Academic semesters around the world have been upended with the spread of the novel coronavirus. Here are the latest updates on changes, closures and cancellations in the tri-campus community. If you don’t see the answer to your question, fill out the form at the bottom of this page.

When do classes start again?

Online classes will begin March 23. As of now, classes will be remote and online through April 13. 

Are there any reported cases on the Notre Dame, Saint Marys or Holy Cross campuses?

No. According to the institutions’ coronavirus websites, there are no cases on campus.

What about in the county and state?

There is one confirmed positive case in St. Joseph County. There are 30 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the state, according to the Indiana State Department of Health

Are residential halls open?

All residential halls at Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s and Holy Cross close Tuesday, except to select number of students. The students eligible for an exemption were contacted by Friday. Students can return to retrieve belongings before Tuesday, but are discouraged from doing so.

Will there be refunds for room and board?

Notre Dame will announce if there are adjustments to room and board when they determine whether to resume in-person classes.

Saint Mary’s will announce potential room and board refunds upon clarification from the federal government that could impact financial aid.

Holy Cross has not announced plans in regards to reimbursements for room and board.

(Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this story included information about Saint Marys College of California and College of the Holy Cross in Massachusetts rather than the institutions in Notre Dame, Indiana. The Observer has corrected and regrets these errors.)

How can I get my books?

If you would like the University to mail your course materials to you at home, you can fill out this form.

Saint Mary’s students are encouraged to contact Linda Timm, the interim vice president for student affairs, at [email protected] if they cannot retrieve their belongings before Tuesday at noon. Timm will approve campus visits on a case-by-case basis.

Holy Cross students will not be able to return to their rooms after noon Tuesday and should contact dean of students Andrew Polaniecki at [email protected] if they have any questions.

What if I need assistance with housing or food?

Students have offered housing, food and other resources in a spreadsheet.

Notre Dame students are also encouraged to reach out to the Office of Student Enrichment with concerns at [email protected] 

Are dining halls open for students remaining on campus?

Notre Dame’s North Dining Hall will be offering to-go meals only for lunch and dinner, and menu items will be limited. Campus Dining advises visitors to practice social distancing at a minimum of 6 feet and touch as few surfaces as possible while in the dining hall. 

The Huddle in LaFortune Student Center will also be open and offering to-go meals only.

Noble Family Dining Hall at Saint Mary’s will be open for limited hours while all other dining options will be closed.

Siegfried Dining Hall will be closed during the Holy Cross’ campus closure. Students who are permitted to stay on campus have access to North Dining Hall.

What about health services?

University Health Services and the University Counseling Center remain open on campus at Notre Dame. All students, on and off campus, can call either service for a consultation or resources.

The Health and Counseling Center at Saint Mary’s will remain open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. during weekdays.

Counseling sessions at Holy Cross will be available virtually during the counselors usual hours. Email [email protected] or contact a counselor directly to inquire about a phone or video call during this time.

Are any extracurricular activities going on?

All extracurricular activities have been canceled through April 13. Any event with more than 100 attendees is also canceled, including sports games, through April 13. 

What is happening to study abroad programs?

All study abroad programs have been suspended, and students have returned home. 

Students at the Notre Dame Washington Program in Washington, D.C., also returned home because the University of California elected to close its housing facility there, where the students resided.

All Saint Mary’s study abroad students have been greatly encouraged to return to the U.S. no matter their location of study as all programs have been canceled. 

Will commencement happen?

Commencement is still scheduled for the weekend of May 15.

Cancellations

Notre Dame

IDEA Week — canceled, including Trevor Noah and OneRepublic

The Snite Museum of Art — closed until at least April 13

Blue-Gold Game — canceled, and all football-related activities are suspended for the foreseeable future

NCAA spring and winter seasons — canceled

Storm the Stadium — canceled

Admitted Students Days — canceled

Black Man’s Think Tank — canceled

Events at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center — canceled until at least April 13

Grad Fair — canceled

Public Masses in the Basilica — canceled

Saint Mary’s

Athletic events — canceled

Meet Me at the Avenue — postponed to April 19

Junior Mom’s Weekend — canceled, registration fees will be refunded

Graduate Admitted Student Day — canceled

Holy Cross

All student extracurricular activities have been canceled through April 13.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available to the tri-campus community.

Tags: , , , , ,

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report