-

-

Sports Authority

Adams: A Shakespearean ode to sports

| Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Since the cancellation of sporting events due to COVID-19, we’ve had some admirable and some absolutely dreadful content (and some of both) produced in the sports world. That includes the NBA trying out an NBA 2K tournament and a HORSE competition, plus NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell showing off his dad bod.

I want to thank all of those who have stuck with The Observer and particularly the sports department as we have made the best of a bad situation with our content. I would like to think that you’ve found what we’ve produced to be more on the “admirable” than “dreadful” side.

I think we can all agree it’s been a long, long quarantine, a period that should have been the most exciting time of the year for many sports fans.

The NBA should have wrapped up the regular season and begun their playoffs on April 18. LeBron would make his return to the postseason, this time with Anthony Davis in tow, and make it really interesting to see if he could get back to the Finals or if Kawhi Leonard would once more spoil his title hopes. At least one thing this quarantine didn’t change is that people weren’t going to have to see the Warriors making another run at the ’ship.

On April 8, the NHL Playoffs should have started. Admittedly, I don’t know much about professional hockey, but I’m pretty sure the Bruins should have been playing for the Stanley Cup and adding yet another championship to the city of Boston’s ever-growing trophy case.

The MLB should have opened their season on March 26. There’s nothing like opening day for baseball, but don’t worry, there will still be one. And, even with the season starting late, the league will still probably find a way to break all of its home run records yet again.

But perhaps worst of all, we miss March Madness. Sure, The Observer did our own March Madness Bracket, but it doesn’t really make it hurt any less.

We should have been watching yet another NCAA Tournament without Notre Dame (let’s be real, they weren’t winning the ACC Tournament) and one where Kentucky inevitably fell short of another Final Four berth that they should have gotten once their region opened up for them.

Heck, I should have been tearing up the RecSports interhall and Zahm House section basketball circuits this semester. Oh well, guess I’ll have to hand out L’s the next go-around.

But, as the French say, c’est la vie. Or, at least, for now it is. But that’s OK, because it won’t be this way forever.

I don’t know how long it’s going to be, but we will eventually return to some semblance of normalcy, and from there we’ll eventually return to normal. People may not ever shake hands again, but you can be sure athletes will be hack-a Shaq-ing, targeting and all other sorts of physical, athletic debauchery once they get the chance to.

It’s at this time that Shakespeare comes to mind. Th poetry of his words does well to summarize my feeling at this moment. From “Macbeth”…

“…Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,

To the last syllable of [DVR-ed or] recorded [sports]…”

to “Romeo and Juliet”…

“…What’s in a name? That which we call a [sport]

By any other word would smell as sweet.

So [Sport] would, were he not [sport] called,

Retain that dear perfection which he owes

Without that title…”

to, of course, “Hamlet”…

“…To [play], or not to [play], that is the question:

Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of [COVID-19-related] troubles

And by opposing end them…

…To [play], to [quarantine];

To [quarantine], perchance to [social distance] — ay there’s the rub:

For in that sleep of [social distancing] what dreams may come…”

You get the idea.

So, as we say farewell for the summer and pray that on the other side of these next three months there are once more sports to write about, know that you are not alone.

To all the mild observers, passionate followers and die-hard fans of sports out there, don’t fret. As I said five weeks ago, every cloud has a silver lining, and the grass is always greener on the other side.

When we come out of this, we’ll be better for it. And we’ll all bask in the sun together when sports return. Because after all, ’twas Shakespeare who wrote:

“Good night, good night. Parting is such sweet sorrow

That I shall say ‘Good night’ till it be ’morrow.”

And I’m sure none of us can wait for the ’morrow.

Tags: , , , , ,

About Hayden Adams

Hayden is a senior double majoring in Physics and Film, Television & Theatre with a minor in Journalism, Ethics & Democracy. He is a proud son of the state of Kentucky and member of Zahm House. Feel free to provide him procrastination material in the form of lively discussion about college football and basketball or the genius of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Contact Hayden