-

-

Hope in each other

| Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The last time we wrote a Letter to the Editor for The Observer it started with: “If we’re being completely honest, none of us expected the election to drag on this long.”

This time it seems only fitting for us to start with: If we’re being completely honest, none of us expected the start of our term to look like this.

Later this evening, the Student Senate will convene and we will officially be sworn in, have our directors confirmed and begin our year in office. It feels somewhat odd transitioning in these times of uncertainty, yet we are excited to serve in these roles.

First and foremost, we want every student to know that we are here for you. Amidst this global pandemic, many students find themselves in a variety of situations and we strive to serve each and every one of you; know that we will always be available to you and encourage you to reach out to us should you need anything at all.

To the senior class: our hearts ache for you as your senior year was cut short and now you must wait over a year to celebrate your achievements during your time here at Notre Dame. Similarly, for students who were studying abroad, we know it must have been devastating to not have the full experience you envisioned. To these two groups we especially empathize with, we wish we could bring you the closure that you deserve, but know we will support you in every way possible.

In the midst of these great difficulties, now more than ever, it is important to recall we are still the Notre Dame family. United now by these unprecedented times, we must rely on each other.

Notre Dame has always been its best when people have come together. Rather than allowing this present situation to divide us, we should always seek to be lights to each other in these times. As the Christian community prepares for the triumph of Easter, we are reminded of the peace and joy that our God brings to all.

We’ve been so encouraged by the many examples of members of the Notre Dame community, whether it being students, faculty or staff, coming together in generosity and caring for one another. It is these systems of support that will continue to hold us together, even when we are apart.

The power of our community is exemplified by the many ways students are continuing to come together now: from the Glee Club serenading us so beautifully with the alma mater, to The Observer’s commitment to continuing to publish stories from our tri-campus community daily, to the ND Ultimate team still getting some practice in with each other and sharing that on social media. These are such wonderful examples of how students are resilient in coming together, and we know this will continue throughout these next few months that lie ahead.

What we’ve seen from our University is nothing short of inspiring. We want to thank every faculty and staff member on this campus who has worked in one way or another during this crisis to ensure the continued flourishing of every student. Many administrators have worked tirelessly to overcome the obstacles that have arisen, and we want to thank them for their dedication to supporting each and every one of us during these difficult times. We’ve been moved by the fact that every single administrator we have met with has ended our conversation by asking us to reach out to them if we learn of any gaps in the University’s response to this crisis and how they can best serve each student.

Finally, we want to thank our predecessors, Elizabeth Boyle, Patrick McGuire and Linde Hoffman, for their tremendous work during the past year, but especially in these past few weeks. We have appreciated the opportunity to work together to support the students we are called to serve.

Now, as we look to the weeks and months that lie ahead, we know it will not be easy. We know that each day brings news of more difficulties. Yet, we must always remember our hope lies in each other. In these next few weeks and months, please do not hesitate to reach out to us should you need anything at all. We are looking forward to serving you all, and we cannot wait to be reunited as one student body at our beautiful home under the dome.

In Notre Dame,

Rachel Ingal

student body president-elect, junior

Sarah Galbenski

student body vice president-elect, junior

Aaron Benavides

chief of staff-designate, junior

Apr. 6

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]