-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

Madison Ahern named Inside Lacrosse National Rookie of the Year

| Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Notre Dame freshman attack Madison Ahern was named the 2020 Inside Lacrosse National Rookie of the Year on April 8. Ahern led the Irish to a No. 2 ranking with 16 goals and a team-high 27 points and 11 assists.

The freshman hailing from Cohasset, Massachusetts attended Notre Dame Academy where she racked up a whopping 631 points and led the school to its first Division I crown in 2019 after finishing as runner-up in the previous two seasons. A three-time USL All-American and All-Academic, Ahern was the first ever two-time Massachusetts D1 Player of the Year as voted by the Boston Globe, and her 631 career points (435 goals, 196 assists), ranks third in Massachusetts history. With the impressive track record in her high school years, Ahern earned honors immediately following her graduation. She was the second-ranked overall recruit and top-ranked attacker in the Class of 2019 by Inside Lacrosse, second only to teammate, and fellow freshman classmate, midfielder Kasey Choma. 

When Ahern arrived at Notre Dame she was not exactly adept at the attacking position. In fact, in high school she had played as a middie. When she came to Notre Dame, Irish head coach Christine Halfpenny would soon move the freshman behind the X to assist the offense, and she would have to battle the nation’s second-ranked scoring defense (7.29 GAA) in practice every single day. Where some may have faltered, Ahern flourished. And her performances on the field would show.

Ahern scored multiple goals in all of her collegiate contests in her debut season and opened her career with three straight hat tricks in the Irish’s opening games against Marquette, No. 3 ranked Northwestern and Central Michigan. Ahern led the Irish to an undefeated season after it was cut short. Only 8 other D-1 teams remained undefeated through all of their contests. While her first collegiate season was tragically cut short, there is no doubt that the young rookie has a bright career ahead of her.