-

-

Notre Dame junior named 2020 Truman Scholar

| Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Notre Dame junior Patrick Hidalgo McCabe has been named a 2020 Truman Scholar, the University announced in a press release Wednesday. 

McCabe is studying political science and Arabic with a minor in peace studies. A native of Vienna, Virgina, McCabe is also a Hesburgh-Yusko Scholar, a Kellogg International Scholar, a Glynn Family Honors Scholar and a Boren Scholar

On campus, McCabe has served as communications coordinator for the Office of Community Engagement and Outreach within Notre Dame Student Government, social media manager for the Notre Dame Center for Social Concerns and as a research assistant with the Kellogg Institute for International Studies. He also helped plan the first student trip to the Women’s March in Washington D.C.

According to the release, McCabe hopes to use this opportunity as a Truman Scholar to obtain a master’s degree in public affairs from Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs and eventually work in diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa.

McCabe is the ninth Notre Dame student to be named a Truman Scholar since 2010, three of which went out to become Rhodes Scholars.

In the release, McCabe thanked his family and the Notre Dame community for their support.

“I look forward to representing Notre Dame as a Truman Scholar and to building on these opportunities to pursue a graduate degree in international affairs,” McCabe said.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report