-

-

Provost provides updates for summer courses, programs in light of COVID-19

| Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Due to COVID-19 concerns, summer courses and programs on campus will see changes this year, provost Tom Burish said in an email to the University community Tuesday.

Faculty members teaching courses to Notre Dame students should prepare for distance learning, Burish said, as many students rely on these courses to fulfill requirements.

Although some courses and programs may begin the summer online, Burish said in-person class meetings and research for both undergraduate and graduate students may resume beginning on July 6.

“We will continue to monitor COVID-19 health and safety guidelines and make a decision regarding the second half of the summer by May 15,” Burish said. “Those programs and courses potentially eligible for in-person meetings in the second half of the summer will be notified this week.”

Burish said the University will consult with public health experts to determine necessary physical distancing requirements on campus in July and August.

The University will not offer housing to non-Notre Dame students participating in summer conferences and programs, Burish said, but some of these programs may have access to nonresidential on-campus facilities during the day depending on whether in-person courses and programs resume for Notre Dame students after July 6.

“We will decide whether and how we will allow on-campus sports activities for Notre Dame enrolled students in consultation with public health officials,” Burish said. “We will not offer any on-campus programs for K-12 students this summer, with the possible exception of limited day sports camps in July. We expect to make all these decisions by May 15.”

Off-campus summer programs and courses will follow the same guidelines as on-campus programs and will require approval from the appropriate dean along with the University’s Office of General Counsel and Risk Management and Safety.

Burish said a cross-functional team reviewed information on the various programs Notre Dame offers during the summer and considered the health and safety of community members to come to these decisions.

“The health and safety of the entire Notre Dame community remains our highest priority,” Burish said. “Within that context, we seek to advance the University’s mission of education, research and scholarship over the summer months while taking the necessary steps to resume ‘normal’ campus life in Fall 2020.”

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report