Residential Life announces fall room pick logistics

Notre Dame's Office of Residential Life announced details for how University students will conduct room picks for the upcoming fall semester 2020 in an email Friday. 

“As always, room picks is driven by your seniority and randomized lottery number,” the email said. 

April 8 is the late deadline for the housing application, and at 5 p.m. April 10, applicants will receive their hall’s randomized lottery numbers via email. 

On April 13, a tool to choose roommates will open online, which will allow students to search for other members of their hall and form a roommate group. Once formed, any member of the roommate group can pull others into the room, including the person with the best lottery number. 

Roommate groups can range from two to six members, and the group can only select a room that is exactly the size of the group. Students may only be a part of one group at a time. Once a room is selected by any member, none of the members cannot change the pick and cannot cancel without incurring a cancellation fee.

On April 17, applicants will receive a timeslot to choose rooms via email and view the list of rooms available in their residential halls.

All room picks will take place at the Home Under the Dome housing portal. Rising senior room picks will occur April 24 from 1 p.m. -5 p.m., and room picks will continue April 25 and 26, from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. for the rest of the student body. The final deadline to select a room online is April 27 at 5 p.m. 

The Office of Residential Life noted the fluidity of the national situation and global pandemic.

“At this point, we are conducting fall room picks based on our traditional room configurations, the population of returning students who have applied for housing and the projected number of newly matriculating students,” the email said. “If travel restrictions, new public health guidelines or enrollment changes necessitate changes in the University’s approach to fall housing and room configurations, we will communicate with you as soon as possible and adjust room selections as needed.”