-

-

Saint Mary’s cancels summer and fall study abroad programs, summer classes to continue online

| Monday, April 6, 2020

Saint Mary’s announced the continuation of summer classes online and the cancellation of the upcoming summer and fall study abroad programs due to COVID-19 concerns in an email to the College community Monday.

These are the latest changes made by the College in response to the spread of coronavirus in the U.S.

The decision to hold summer classes online was made last week after consultation with faculty, Titilayo Ufomata, Saint Mary’s provost and senior vice president said in the email. Program directors reached out to students enrolled in these courses shortly after and notified them of the change.

The College will do its best to accommodate as many students as possible to study abroad spring 2021, Ufomata said.

“Students who want to carry over their summer or fall application fee to another program in the spring can do so, while those who would prefer a refund should let their program director know by email,” Ufomata said.

Accommodations will also be made for students whose participation in a study abroad experience is tied to a specific time in their program of study, including the nursing program.

“I understand how disappointing this news must be for students who have been planning for these experiences for some time. For this, I am sorry,” Ufomata said. “We do not see a responsible way to let these programs go ahead under the uncertainty that the whole world is experiencing at this time.”

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report