-

-

SMC’s Career Crossings Office hosts online job search webinar

| Wednesday, April 8, 2020

As everyday life changes amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, so does student’s ability to search for jobs and internships. On April 8, Saint Mary’s Career Crossings Office will hold a “Job/Internship Searching in COVID-19” webinar for students from 3 – 4:30 p.m. EST.

Students can register for the presentation on a Google Form and will receive a Google Calendar invite to access the webinar. Registrants will receive a recording of the session and access to the resources used during the webinar over an email sent when the event concludes.

Career Crossings director and event coordinator Stacie Jeffirs said the online presentation will center on helping students refocus their job search under the coronavirus’ new circumstances.

“[The presentation] will discuss how to navigate uncertainty during COVID-19 as it relates to the job and internship search. This will include how to create a structured plan for yourself that will help you move forward, learning to manage what is within your control and using what we know now to effectively adjust to the ‘new normal’ of a search being done entirely remotely,” Jeffirs said.

Jeffirs reminds students about the importance of connecting with alumnae to find new opportunities. She will do this by discussing how students and alumnae can tap into the alumnae network, which Jeffirs said is more important now than ever.

While the online search process remains the same, Jeffirs said students need to be prepared to interview and work remotely.

“The things that have changed are how you network, interview and connect with people,” Jeffirs said. “You might see employers onboarding and orienting new employees virtually and starting in a new role remotely. Some employers may choose to move summer internships completely virtual. Students should be having these conversations with their employers to determine what the best course of action is.”

Jeffirs advises students to make a schedule and reflect on their accomplishments in order to remain motivated in their search. Emphasizing students take the time to care for themselves and reach out to others to support them in their search.

“Creating and maintaining a routine where you provide structure for your search is also important,” Jeffirs said. “Decide what strategies you will employ, create daily/weekly goals for yourself, schedule out the time in your search and assess your progress each week. Self-care is very important at this moment. This includes physical, emotional and spiritual. Tapping into support systems is crucial so that you don’t become isolated in your search.”

The Career Crossings Office is committed to working with students and alumnae remotely during all parts of their job search, Jeffirs said. Career Crossings will also send out a Google Form to students to determine topics for future sessions.

“Our office is providing all of our services remotely during this time and we provide lifetime services for graduates,” Jeffirs said. We can help with the search process, writing effective resumes and cover letters, preparing for interviews, discerning options, and back-up plans and all other career development needs. Our office will also be launching a survey to learn more about the career needs of students and summer/post-grad plans for students. This will help us build out more sessions and services to meet these needs.”

Career Crossings is open year-round and is currently offering virtual office hours on Tuesdays from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. EST, Wednesdays from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. EST, and Thursdays from 2 – 5 p.m. EST. The office can be reached at [email protected] to schedule a phone or Google Meet appointment.

About Genevieve Coleman

Genevieve Coleman is a sophomore at Saint Mary's majoring in English Literature and Secondary Education with minors in Sociology and Theatre Performance. When she is not serving as an Associate News Editor, she enjoys petting dogs and watching television with subtitles.

Contact Genevieve