‘The Shirt’ committee reveals 2020 design virtually

The Shirt committee unveiled its design for its 31st installment of the long tradition Friday, April 17.

The committee had originally planned to reveal the design at a celebratory event on Library quad in the spring. Instead, the group debuted the final product virtually, utilizing its Facebook page, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube account.

1587152208-7ad81c0c241d800-700x418
Courtesy of Jennifer Paul and The Shirt committee

In a video posted to its Facebook page, the committee released special footage of its members revealing the design.

In an article posted on The Shirt's official website, head of public relations Max Perry said, “This year’s design of The Shirt is intended to capture the experience of a Notre Dame game day. To accomplish this, we wanted the front of The Shirt to contain elements familiar to the Notre Dame community.”

On the front of the shirt “Irish” is spelled out in a Celtic-styled font, “in reference to the mascot, gameday traditions such as the bagpipe band, and the 2020 season opener in Ireland,” the article said.

In the middle of the letter “s” rests a circular window of the Golden Dome.

“The goal for the back of The Shirt was to depict the excitement of game days at Notre Dame and the immense amount of loyalty that the fans show for Notre Dame football,” Perry said in the article.

The committee chose to highlight the kickoff in depicting game day excitement. The kicker wears the number 31, in honor of the 31st year of The Shirt.

“We also gave the kicker a green jersey, traditionally worn for special games,” the article said.

The left ticket features seat number 1842, referencing the year Notre Dame was founded, and the right ticket features the student section cheering during kickoff, but also represents a similar motion performed at the end of the alma mater. The seat number 1887 represents the first year of Notre Dame football.

“The phrase ‘With unshakable spirit, we live out our legacy,’ captures both the passion that fans have for the team as well as the tradition of success that stands behind the Notre Dame football program,” the article said.

The Shirt is available to purchase on the Hammes Bookstore website.