-

-

To the class of 2020

| Thursday, April 16, 2020

To the class of 2020,

The impact of COVID-19 has not only disrupted our final year of undergrad, but it has eliminated the hallmark celebration of our hard work that we have looked forward to for so long. Coronavirus has impeded our opportunity to get closure from the successes and failures that made us into the people we are today. 

As I learned about the postponement of my graduation, I was completely disheartened. Years of waking up every weekday to go to class, to be challenged by amazing professors and to be surrounded by my colleagues ended in a single email. My mind couldn’t help but think back to the moments that ultimately were my last ones without ever knowing they were the last.

We, class of 2020, were certainly not prepared for this, but the world was not prepared for this either. Our world was far from prepared for a total shutdown; shutdown of the economy, of our daily jobs, of social interaction and even of our lives. Let us put things into perspective and make the most of what we have today.

Class of 2020, let us take the time to grieve, but let us also take the time to heal. Let us seek out ways to fulfill our innate need for closure of our most unforgettable years. Let us reflect upon the people who made these four years the most insightful years: four years full of finding our passion, of continuous learning, of successes and failures, of lifelong relationships, of unparalleled personal growth. Let us use this time to acknowledge our common ground and cherish it, because we, class of 2020, are experiencing something no other class in history has. 

Let us also not get discouraged by these little moments that have been taken away from us, but instead let us become humble enough to turn this into an opportunity of growth, of making an impact in our world. Let us find new ways to learn, new ways to love, new ways to serve others. And that alone should be enough to console — even if just for a moment. 

Go Irish, and see you all in 2021.

Patricia Revuelta 

senior

Apr. 2

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]