College announces grants available for students affected by COVID-19

In a Wednesday email to Saint Mary’s students, Mona Bowe, vice president of Enrollment Management and chair of the coronavirus relief fund task force, said all students of the College are able to apply for a grant to help with expenses relating to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“If you have incurred unexpected expenses due to the disruption of Saint Mary’s operations, your expenses might be eligible and we encourage you to apply," Bowe said in the email. "Expenses not related to the disruption of campus operations will not be eligible. All current students at Saint Mary’s are able to apply for a grant."

The relief fund was financed by federal funds awarded to colleges through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund as well as by donations from families of current Belles, staff, faculty and others who which to support students. 

Students looking to apply for a grant through the fund are encouraged to fill out an online form. Once the grant is awarded, the money can be spent however the student wishes. 

The application window closes on June 30, 2020, and grants are not guaranteed to be available for everyone. 

“Funding is limited and there is no guarantee funds will be available later in the summer, so we encourage you to apply early,” the email said. 

Bowe encouraged students with questions to first check the FAQ page online and then email her with additional questions.