-

-

College Alumnae Association awards 2020 Outstanding Senior Award

| Friday, May 15, 2020

Although Saint Mary’s was not able to have a traditional convocation ceremony due to the coronavirus, senior Katie Glenn was recognized as the recipient of the Alumnae Association’s Outstanding Senior Award winner on the convocation honors website.

The award is given annually to a senior who “exemplifies the spirit and values of Saint Mary’s College and displays outstanding dedication to Saint Mary’s through curricular and extracurricular activities,” according to the website.

During her time at Saint Mary’s, Glenn was a four-year member of the cross country team, where she served as a team captain her junior and senior years. In addition, Glenn held the role of vice president of Belles for Life, participated in the sustainability committee, compost crew and the peer mentorship program and worked as an athletic training assistant.

Glenn was also a co-recipient of the Juliette Noone Lester Award in political science and a co-recipient of the Mary Ellen Smith Academic and Athletic Achievement Award.

Glenn said she was surprised when she found out she had won the award.

“We had to submit statements when we received the nomination, and when I dropped mine off at the Alumnae Office, I remember seeing the names of some of the Belles who were also nominated and figured there was no way I would get it,” she said. “There were so many wonderful names in there. It means so much to be recognized in this way because there are so many amazing Belles who are equally deserving.”

Reflecting on her time at the College, Glenn remembers all the people who supported her pursuits.

“My participation in these activities and groups, particularly cross country and Belles for Life, has absolutely defined my four years at Saint Mary’s,” she said. “It’s easy to rattle off clubs or leadership roles and have it sound like the making of a nice resume, but it’s really a story about all the amazing, supporting, inspiring people who I’ve walked with these past few years and who have become like a family to me.”

Glenn will not be able to give an acceptance speech at the traditional champagne brunch, given the cancellation of senior week programming.

“As far as I’m aware, I will not be able to give an acceptance speech since the champagne brunch has been canceled. I’m sure I wouldn’t have mustered up anything too inspiring or life-changing, so I’m OK with it,” she said. “Missing all the normal senior week activities has of course been really difficult, but thankfully we’re Belles and prepared for difficult times like this.”

Glenn said she is thankful for all the opportunities the College has given her.

“Saint Mary’s has provided me so much opportunity, as well as the courage and confidence to dive headfirst and take advantage of those opportunities,” she said.

After graduation, Glenn will work as a caseworker with the Jesuit Volunteer Core for a year in Austin, Texas.

About Genevieve Coleman

Genevieve Coleman is a sophomore at Saint Mary's majoring in English Literature and Secondary Education with minors in Sociology and Theatre Performance. When she is not serving as an Associate News Editor, she enjoys petting dogs and watching television with subtitles.

Contact Genevieve