-

-

Football

Navy-Notre Dame game moved from Dublin to Annapolis for 1st time in rivalry history

| Tuesday, June 2, 2020

A large bubble of uncertainty looms over college and professional athletics, but Notre Dame football and director of athletics Jack Swarbick are finding answers to some difficult questions at this time. 

On Tuesday morning it was announced that for the first time in the history of the longest-continuous-intersectional rivalry in college football between Notre Dame and Navy, the game will be played in Annapolis at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

Annie Smierciak | The Observer

Former Irish wide receiver Chase Claypool catches the ball during Notre Dame’s 52-20 victory over the Navy Midshipmen on Nov. 16, 2019, at Notre Dame Stadium.

The “week zero” season opener was originally scheduled to be played at Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Ireland. Every time Navy has played host to Notre Dame, it has been at a neutral site. This will be the first time through 93 games the Irish will be boots on the ground in Annapolis. 

The change of plans was anticipated as concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic grew. Swarbick and Naval Academy director of athletics Chet Gladchuk Jr. consulted the Irish government, medical authorities and the administrative staffs at Navy and Notre Dame before making the decision to change the sight of the 94th meeting. 

Originally scheduled for Aug. 29, both Notre Dame and Navy had a bye scheduled for the following weekend, so the rivalry is anticipated to be played either Saturday, Sep. 5 or Sunday, Sep. 6 of Labor Day weekend. The matchup will be broadcast either by ESPN or ABC.