-

-

Football

Notre Dame announces plan to bring football players back to campus starting June 8

| Friday, June 5, 2020

Notre Dame has announced its plans for bringing football players back to campus.

Back in March, shortly after the University moved to online classes, head coach Brian Kelly joined Scott Van Pelt on SportsCenter to discuss the implications the shutdown would have on the upcoming college football season. Kelly’s main concern was ensuring teams would have sufficient preparation time for the upcoming season.

“There’s going to be a date where we all, as college football administrators and coaches, come up with a date where, from a player safety standpoint, we have to say, ‘this is the date that we can live with to get these young men physically conditioned and ready to go into camp,’” Kelly said.

Kelly said for him, that date was July 1 because different parts of the coaching staff and the sports medicine team would need time to help the players get ready for the upcoming season.

“I mean, if you can’t start training your football team by July 1 — you’re going to need at least four weeks, strength and conditioning coaches are gonna want six, sports medicine is probably looking at four to six weeks. I think the realistic goal here is minimum of four weeks of conditioning before you put them in a camp. College football is going to be affected if we’re not playing in 90 days in terms of the conditioning element and getting these young men ready.”

On Thursday evening, the program announced that football players can return to campus as soon as June 8, with voluntary workouts slated to begin June 22. After returning there will be a variable quarantine period for each player factoring in where they have been living and their method of travel to campus (plane, car, etc.).

Players will be housed on campus at the Morris Inn in single-occupancy rooms and receive every meal at the inn. All players and staff will be tested before entering football facilities and have daily wellness checks thereafter.

Initial training is expected to be restricted to strength and conditioning, with a three-phase plan for training groups. The initial phase will involve 10 or fewer players, the second 50 or fewer and the third unlimited athletes. Social distancing measures will be implemented during training or players and staff will wear masks when that is not possible.