Student government calls on campus community to fight racial inequalities

Members of Notre Dame’s student government urged the campus community to do their part in combating racial inequalities in light of the recent murder of George Floyd in a statement released Monday.

The statement cites the University’s mission statement to encourage students to take action.

“Over the course of our Notre Dame education, these core tenets of Catholic Social Teaching have been inculcated within us, and we must now transform our learning into service to justice,” the statement said.

At the same time though, members of the student government acknowledged acts of racism that persist on campus as well.

“Demonstrations of hate have no place on our campus or in our world, and we all have an obligation to do better,” the statement said.

In response to the University's statement released Saturday on racial justice, student government members urged university officials to focus on advocacy work to benefit black community members in the present.

“Rather than simply looking back to 1964 when Father Ted stood hand in hand with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., we should be looking ahead to the ways we can contribute to the fight against racism in the present, to fight for justice and peace,” the statement said.

Student government also urged the student body as a whole to combat systems of oppression for minority groups by speaking out and actively advocating for the oppressed.

“As a Catholic university, we must acknowledge that thoughts and prayers and action are not mutually exclusive,” the statement said. “We appreciate the University’s effort to stand in solidarity with the Black community with the Prayer for Unity, Walk for Justice prayer service, and we encourage students to participate in this event. However, beyond prayer, we have an obligation to take concrete steps toward equality.”

Campus community members were also invited to add their signatures to the statement.