Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

University releases plans for coronavirus testing

Notre Dame announced plans regarding COVID-19 testing, contact tracing and daily health checks in an email sent to the campus community Friday.

According to the email, all students who reside outside of St. Joseph County, as well as St. Joseph County residents who will live in Notre Dame residence halls will undergo testing prior to the start of fall semester. The University has partnered with a third-party test provider to distribute tests to students, and for University Health Services to receive said results prior to students arrival on campus.

Additionally, any students who test positive for the virus are asked to delay their return to campus until being medically cleared to do so.

The University is developing a COVID-19 Response Unit — consisting of medically-trained and administrative personnel — which will be fully operational by July 20. This team will oversee the daily health checks required of all students, faculty and staff, in addition to operating the on-site testing center “for those with symptoms of COVID-19 or for those who have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.”

The testing will be free for all currently enrolled students, all faculty teaching or conducting research and all staff members.

In regard to contact tracing, the COVID-19 Response Unit will be able to do so through the daily health check system. The email said Bluetooth-enabled electronic notification systems will not be used in the contact tracing process.