-

-

Student government announces day of action in response to ICE policy

| Monday, July 13, 2020

In a statement released Monday morning, members of Notre Dame student government detailed plans for a day of action in response to the new ICE policy affecting international students if their schools go fully online for the semester.

“This xenophobic revocation of protection for students on F-1 and M-1 visas is dangerous to our campus community and educational institutions nationwide,” the statement said. “Not only do we acknowledge the intrinsic value of every international student, but we attest to the enrichment that they bring to our collegiate experience. As a Student Government, we are committed to defending the rights of our international students and advocating for their right to safety and security while pursuing their degrees.”

Members of student government commended University administration for their response to the ongoing situation, and acknowledged the divide that exists between international and domestic students.

The action guide provided by student government includes petitions to sign, phone and email templates to contact members of Congress, as well as mental health resources for students during the pandemic.

Tags: , , , , ,

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report