-

-

University announces updates to student life, campus dining for fall

| Thursday, July 30, 2020

Erin Hoffman Harding, vice president for student affairs, announced additional information regarding residential life and dining options for the fall semester in a Thursday email to the student body.

Students living in undergraduate residence halls will be required to wear a mask in all spaces in halls other than their personal room. In addition, daily midnight parietals will be enforced for at least the first three weeks of the academic year. Shared fitness rooms and kitchens will be available for students to use by appointment only.

In regard to campus dining, North and South Dining Halls will offer takeout only. Students are encouraged to eat their meals in “tents on North Quad and South Quad, the LaFortune and Duncan Student Centers, the Pizza Pi patio, the concrete pads outside the Duncan Student Center, other outdoor campus locations or their residence hall rooms.”

Due to the change in dining access, students will have more flex points added to their on-campus meal plan for the semester, and unused flex points in the fall will roll over to the spring semester

A McDonald Center for Student Well-Being survey where it was found that “82% of students are somewhat concerned or more, with 37% very or extremely concerned” for their emotional well-being. Hoffman-Harding said the University is increasing its health and safety protocols designed for students’ physical and mental health.

Finally, the Student Activities Office updated its club and organization protocols and suspended student group travel and off-campus events, indoor choral activities, student dances, races and runs, and the student group concession stand program. Students are encouraged to partake in virtual programming, spend time outdoors and choose safe social options that will not harm their ability to wear masks or social distance.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report