-

-

A letter from a staff member

| Monday, August 17, 2020

I was saddened and angered at reading the news that an off‐campus party contributed to a number of positive COVID‐19 cases since classes resumed on August 10.

As a staff member who, like everyone else, has been stuck at home since March, I wanted nothing more than to be able to come back to campus. It’s my second home. It’s the center of my social life. It’s where I’ve formed lifelong friendships. I love the excitement of the fall football season, the beauty of the winter snow and the promise of warm weather when the flowers start to bloom in the spring.

When it was announced that the University would be reopening in the fall, I was ecstatic! Many of my friends and colleagues were (and still are) filled with trepidation, but I was only looking ahead. I am a recent cancer survivor, and many people kept reminding me I’m “high‐risk” and should have applied to continue working from home. But I wanted to be back in the action and be on campus to welcome the students back and feel a bit of normalcy again.

I am happy to be back, but all of the preparation in the world won’t work if people don’t follow the guidelines.

To the students: I implore you to please think of the consequences of your actions. Even if you’re not afraid of getting sick, think of people you may infect. I was happy to see old friends again, too. But I knew to keep my distance and wear my mask. I know I’ll be able to hug them when this is all over. No one wants the University to shut down again, but that decision is in our hands. Let’s all learn from this and make this semester a huge success!

Greg Endicott

Political science department coordinator

Aug. 14

page1image10986432

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]