-

-

As you begin your journey

| Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Dear Holy Cross class of 2024, 

As you begin your college journey and a deeper discovery of self amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, college can provide a place for you to develop and explore new opportunities and relationships. We hope to make campus a comfortable and welcoming place for you. We know how daunting this time can be for students. Our job is to make sure that your first year, although with challenges, can be exciting and fulfilling. 

Since college is a new experience for most of you, we would like to give you some insights into Holy Cross and the tri-campus community. As you may know, the tri-campus consists of Holy Cross, Saint Mary’s and Notre Dame. Holy Cross students have the ability to take classes, join clubs, listen to lectures and attend sporting events at any of these three schools. It is important that in this tri-campus community we are respectful of others and follow the COVID-19 regulations. 

We strongly encourage all students to take advantage of the opportunities offered at Holy Cross in order to receive the fullest college experience. We also encourage you to participate in tri-campus events and get out of your comfort zone as much as possible: meet new people, try new experiences and be proud to be where you are. Doing so will allow you to discover new things about yourself and create lasting friendships. 

Finally, we urge you to push yourselves — in your classwork, athletically, socially and spiritually. Succeed in growing in these areas by setting goals and working hard to achieve them. 

College can be the foundation for the rest of your life. We will continue to work to make this year a great one. Be safe. Be smart. Wear a mask. Have fun. Don’t stress, but if you do, we are here. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help. And remember Ave Crux, Spes Unica. Hail to the Cross, our only hope. 

William Skoch

student body president, Holy Cross

senior

Jillian Walter

student body vice president, Holy Cross

junior

Aug. 2

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]