-

-

Let’s get into it

| Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Woohoo! If you’re reading this, it means we’ve moved in. SGA is so excited to welcome all the first-years to Saint Mary’s. Your arrival has been highly anticipated and we cannot wait to see how you leave your mark on the Saint Mary’s community. To all the sophomores, juniors and our fellow seniors: Welcome back; we’ve missed you all.
Even faced will the challenges and difficulties of COVID-19, Saint Mary’s will continue to strive to be an inclusive and tight-knit community full of wonderful women. So, what’s that mean for new Belles? First-years! We want to encourage you to please get involved, even if that means virtually. Push yourself to try something new. Who knows? Maybe Baking Club is your calling? Working with Campus Ministry? Or maybe it’s volunteering through OSCE? There are so many wonderful opportunities at Saint Mary’s. On our campus alone, we have over 60 organizations to get involved in (shameless SGA plug). Plus, if you don’t see a club you’d be interested in, you can always start your own. Saint Mary’s needs your help and direction, and we want to hear your voice.
Don’t be afraid to be yourself. The cool part about college and Saint Mary’s is that if you wear pajamas or jeans to class, nobody judges you. If you eat solely ice cream for dinner, nobody judges you. Saint Mary’s is an amazing place where you have an immense amount of freedom to be yourself. You were made beautiful and perfect; let your authentic self shine!
SGA has been working with various faculty and staff to offer your perspective on changes around campus. We know a lot of these new guidelines will probably feel strange at first and maybe even frustrating at times, but we know we can all do our best to keep our community, the tri-campus community and the greater South Bend community safe. Just know when things get hard, inevitably they will, there is a whole community of current students, staff, faculty and alumnae who are rooting for you and your success. Don’t be afraid to check up on your peers; everyone is experiencing this pandemic differently. Belles were made to overcome challenges. Just as the cast of High School Musical said, “We’re all in this together.”
After being separated from campus for way too long, we feel so incredibly blessed and lucky to have the opportunity to come back for one more year. We are excited to serve each and every one of you this school year. Go Belles!
Let’s get into it,
Giavanna Paradiso
student body president, Saint Marys
senior
Kelsey O’Connor
student body vice president, Saint Marys
senior
Aug. 2

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]