Saturday, May 4, 2024

Saint Mary’s leadership urges adherence to safety policies

Gloria Roldán Jenkins, interim vice president for student affairs, addressed students’ personal conduct in an email sent to the student body Friday.

Jenkins said she is overall pleased with students following the safety mandates on campus but acknowledged this cannot be said for the entire of the student body.

“Those who walk through the halls and pull up their masks only when a faculty member is seen; extended visiting without masks after dining. Students who inadvertently or willfully disregard the safety plans we have enacted pose a threat to the health of our community and destabilize our efforts,” she said.

The email urged students to review the code of conduct, share concerns about the actions of other students and take responsibility for their actions. Jenkins emphasized that students should “think twice about socializing in large numbers,” especially in circumstances where physical distancing and mask-wearing cannot be followed.

“As Saint Mary’s works diligently to provide an environment that seeks to protect your health and wellbeing, we look to you to do the same,” she said. “By holding yourself and each other accountable, we can have a safe, full semester of in-person campus time.”

Jenkins’ email follows a pledge sent Friday afternoon by College President Katie Conboy and student government association president Giavanna Paradiso asking students to commit to making campus a safe environment.