-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

Notre Dame women’s lacrosse bolsters ranks with stellar recruiting class

| Friday, August 14, 2020

The Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team announced its commitments for the class of 2024 in early August. Coming off of an undefeated season start in 2020 that saw them reach the No. 2 spot in the rankings before COVID-19 struck, the Irish have brought in the No. 5-ranked recruiting class nationally per Inside Lacrosse. The 12-woman class includes one five-star and five four-star recruits.

Midfielder Keelin Schlageter is the highest rated prospect for the Irish and the No. 26 player nationally. Hailing from Maplewood, New Jersey, she played with two other members of Notre Dame’s class at Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child. Alongside four-star defender and No. 38 national recruit Aine Maseker and fellow midfielder Mary Kelly Doherty, Schlageter and crew led Oak Knoll to a No. 5 national ranking and New Jersey Team of the Year distinction. Maseker was also a four-year member of the varsity soccer team, and Doherty broke three Oak Knoll indoor track and field records in the high jump, 400-meters and 4×400-meter relay.

Four-star attack Kyle Kirby, whose father graduated from Notre Dame in 1993, set Staples High School (Westport, Connecticut) records with 113 career points and 133 draw controls as a junior. Kirby earned the Jackie Pitts Award in Connecticut, given annually to the senior women’s lacrosse player who is exemplary in athletics, academics and community service. She also led her high school to four consecutive state championships in field hockey and was named a Max Field Hockey All-American as a senior.

Fellow four-star attack Abigail Maichin racked up 70 points to lead Huntington High School in Huntington, New York, as a junior. The four-time New York State Scholar-Athelete award earner was named to the Inside Lacrosse Young Gun Senior Watchlist last year.

Michelle Mehelas | The Observer

Senior midfielder Erin McBride shakes off a defender in a matchup with Kent State at Loftus Sports Center on February 24, 2019.

Midfielders Alexandra McHugh and Kristen Shanahan round out the four-stars in the class. McHugh was named to the 2020 Inside Lacrosse Senior Watchlist after helping Episcopal Academy (Newtown Square, Pennsylvania) to consecutive Inter-Academic League championships in 2018 and 2019. Much like Kirby, Maseker and Doherty, McHugh is well-accomplished in other sports, breaking her school’s record in the 4×800-meter relay in track and playing four years of varsity soccer. Her soccer squad won a state championship in 2019.

Shanahan was a junior captain on her Sachem High School East team in Holbrook, New York, and recorded 57 goals and 12 assists that season. She was named a U.S. Lacrosse Third Team All-American that same season and was also a two-time all-state player in field hockey in her sophomore and junior years.

Midfielder Kelly Denes was a U.S. Lacrosse All-American in 2019 and led Cardinal Newman High School in Jupiter, Florida, to three-straight district titles. Her accolades include First Team All-Palm Beach County and First Team All-District, as well as being a two-time captain and team MVP. She also played four years of varsity soccer.

Attack Alison Harbaugh is another well-rounded athlete with varsity letters in tennis and basketball. As lacrosse team captain in 2020 at the Bryn Mawr school in Baltimore, Maryland, she helped lead her team to a conference title. Harbaugh is also the daughter of Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh and the niece of Michigan head football coach Jim Harbaugh.

Midfielder Kacie Mooney and defense Sophie Proctor are keeping Notre Dame in the family, as both have had sisters play on the Irish squad before them. A three-sport athlete in lacrosse, basketball and soccer, Mooney is the younger sibling of rising sophomore Ellie Mooney and won sectional and regional championships as a member of Pittsford Mendon High School in Pittsford, New York, Proctor’s sister Hannah was an All-American for Notre Dame at her sister’s same position. Sophie helped Radnor High School to the Central League Championship in Wayne, Pennsylvania, as a junior.

Rounding out the class is Lilly Callahan, Notre Dame’s lone goalie recruit. She was a two-time Bay State All-Star at Needham High School in Needham, Massachusetts. She contributed to a Division I state championship in 2017 and as a junior led the squad to the U.S. Women’s National Tournament.

Notre Dame also adds Emma Schettig, a rising sophomore defender transferring from Maryland. The No. 5-ranked recruit in the 2019 class, Schettig led the Terrapins in ground balls with 17 and turnovers caused with nine, garnering an Inside Lacrosse Second-Team All-American spot as a freshman.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,