-

-

ND Cross Country

Irish men’s, women’s cross country squads ranked first, third in ACC

| Wednesday, September 9, 2020

The Atlantic Coast Conference released its preseason coaches poll rankings on Tuesday for men’s and women’s cross country. The Notre Dame men, who secured the school’s first conference title in 2018 are ranked No. 1, while the women are ranked No. 3 behind NC State and Florida State. 

The men are coming off of a second-place ACC Championship finish last season which was followed by an eighth-place performance at the 2019 NCAA Cross Country Championship. Trailing them closely in the rankings are the Syracuse Orange. The Orange have been running through the ACC since joining in 2013, securing gold in the six of the last seven men’s ACC Cross Country Championships.

Grace Aubry | The Observer

A group of Notre Dame cross country runners sprints ahead of the pack. The women’s team is ranked third in the preseason ACC coaches poll.

The men are returning the majority of their squad including graduate student Kevin Salvano, seniors Yared Nuguse, Andrew Alexander and Brian Griffith and juniors Dylan Jacobs and Danny Kilrea. Nuguse, Kilrea, Alexander and Salvano all competed when Notre Dame won the conference championship in 2018.

The women come in ranked third, the same position they finished in the ACC Cross Country Championships last season. They are also returning several key contributors including juniors Maddy Denner, Elena Denner, Anna Fischer and Jacqueline Gaughan. 

ACC teams will compete over the next seven weeks. They will conclude with the 2020 ACC Cross Country Championships on Friday, Oct. 30, in Cary, N.C. at WakeMed Soccer Park.

Tags: , , , , , , ,