-

-

Football

Linebacker announces departure from ND football program

| Wednesday, September 9, 2020

On Monday, Notre Dame senior linebacker Jordan Genmark Heath announced via Twitter that he will no longer be a member of the Notre Dame football team. Genmark Heath intends to graduate in November and then enter into the transfer portal and play elsewhere for the 2021 football season as a graduate transfer.

Genmark Heath arrived from San Diego, Calif. in the 2017 recruiting class as a three-star safety per 247Sports.com. During his three-year tenure with the Irish, Genmark Heath saw action in 39 games. He had 11 tackles as a freshman, 16 tackles as a sophomore sophomore,and 10 tackles and a sack as a junior.

In his Twitter announcement, Genmark Heath shared a message of thanks to the coaching staff, his teammates and the University.

“I want to start off by saying thank you to Coach Kelly, Coach Lea, Coach Balis, our support staff and the University of Notre Dame for this life-changing opportunity to play football and pursue a degree at one of the most prestigious universities in the world,” Genmark Heath said. “Words can’t describe how much Notre Dame, and the people that I have met here mean to me. I’m forever grateful.”

Allison Thornton | The Observer

Notre Dame senior linebacker Jordan Genmark Heath looks towards the line of scrimmage as he awaits the snap.

Genmark Heath’s announcement came the same day that Notre Dame released its depth chart for the upcoming season opener against Duke this Saturday. He was presumed to be a favorite for the starting buck linebacker spot left open by the graduation of Asmar Bilal, and defensive coordinator Clark Lea praised him for his development over an abbreviated offseason. However, junior Shayne Simon and sophomore Marist Liufau received the nod as starter and backup, respectively, leaving Genmark Heath with little opportunity for playing time.

The NCAA granted all players an extra year of eligibility following this season due to the impact of COVID-19, meaning Genmark Heath could have returned for a fifth year with the Irish despite never redshirting. By sitting out this season he will be immediately eligible to play for a new team next season, and will have two years of eligibility remaining there.