-

-

Football

Two football players test positive for COVID-19

| Monday, September 14, 2020

Two Notre Dame football players have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past week, according to a Monday tweet from the Notre Dame Football PR team. The release said the athletes are in isolation and that their parents are aware of the situation. Two other football student athletes are in quarantine following contact tracing.

This announcement comes after the Fighting Irish secured a 27-13 win over Duke’s Blue Devils in their season opener on Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. 

None of the players in isolation and quarantine participated in the season opening game against Duke on Saturday, the release said.

According to the release, 419 COVID-19 tests have been administered to the football team over the past week. Since June 18, the football team has had 14 positive COVID-19 tests — including the two announced Monday — with a negative rate of 99.3%.

In a press conference Sept. 7, head coach Brian Kelly reiterated the importance of testing the team and made remarks on the discipline of the athletes in staying healthy and following COVID-19 guidelines. The student athletes were tested three times before facing Duke in Notre Dame Stadium, with testing occurring the Monday, Wednesday and Friday before the game.