-

-

Football

Adams: Notre Dame fans react to 12-7 win over Louisville

| Wednesday, October 21, 2020

After Notre Dame came away from Saturday’s contest against Louisville with a clunker of a 12-7 win, The Observer posted a poll on Twitter asking fans how they felt following the game. Seeing as I have my own opinions on the matter, here’s a look at their responses (all anonymous).

“Great run game. Great defense. Every game flow is different. No need to panic. A win is a win. Go Irish.”

You, sir or madam, have the type of optimism I found it difficult to muster after this game. I grant you the point about how the run game and defense looked good, and yes, every game flow is different. However, I must disagree and say there is a need for panic.

I’m more in the camp of the person who was…

“Frustrated & Disappointed. Sure, ugly wins count, but it’s not encouraging moving forward.”

The Irish run game, while consistently getting yards and first downs, is not the explosive unit the 2017 Notre Dame offense possessed. Kyren Williams is slippery, but he can’t burst through a crease like Josh Adams, and Chris Tyree is still relatively inexperienced. They can move the chains but are having trouble finding pay dirt, especially in the red zone.

Without a competent passing game to complement the ground attack, Clemson — and this is all about Clemson because their 73-7 disintegration of Georgia Tech was panic-inducing — is going to take advantage. Still, though, I don’t quite feel like the people who said they felt…

“Awful. We will lose 105-0 to Clemson” / “Like Notre Dame is bad at football” / “Vindicated. I’ve been saying it for months now, ND does not have a good football team. They couldn’t beat a team who was 1-3 in a dominating fashion. Lucky that they won, but that luck will run out soon against teams like Clemson and UNC.”

I don’t think I would go this far. And I might suggest these individuals ask their doctors for some Xanax.

Notre Dame has a good football team, and with their offensive line, tight ends and running backs (and a game manager quarterback who refuses to play like a third-year starter), they will beat every team they should. And I think that last person might feel a little different now considering UNC has since lost to the Florida State team Notre Dame beat two Saturdays ago.

“Lost all optimism about beating Clemson.”

Again, I wouldn’t even go this far. Seeing North Carolina lose to Florida State, it just reaffirms for me that Notre Dame is the only ACC team that has a legitimate shot at knocking Clemson down a peg this season. I have at least a little faith in that because of all the weapons I just mentioned.

They definitely need someone to emerge as the go-to guy at wide receiver. Javon McKinley’s performance against the Seminoles seemed more like a pleasant surprise than the makings of a go-to guy, so it’s imperative that Kevin Austin become that No. 1 wideout in addition to Braden Lenzy staying healthy and keeping defenses (especially one defense in particular) aware of him streaking up the field.

Just pray that there’s no wind.

“Worst coaching job of Kelly’s tenure here.”

I would point you to a certain rain-soaked loss last season to a blue and maize team that shall not be named. Or perhaps to a loss nearly a decade ago (against a recent visitor of Notre Dame Stadium) in which Kelly’s face turned a shade of purple best defined as “Byzantium.”

“We are back to Charlie Weis era.”

In terms of the score? No, we’re more in the Dan Devine era since that was the last time the Irish scored so few points in a home win. That’s pretty much the only connection I can draw here. This defense is far better than any Weis threw out on the field during his time in South Bend. On the other side of the ball, Ian Book, despite what his statistics may say, is also nowhere near the player Brady Quinn was under Weis — nor the player he could have been with the defense and line play Book possesses.

It’s like the Weis era has been perverted, and because of that Notre Dame is now 4-0 in 2020 and 37-6 in the last four seasons, with 22 straight home wins and 28 straight over unranked opponents. No Xanax necessary for you, but perhaps a chill pill.

“Exhausted (nine rosaries and paced the entire game).”

I’m sure your efforts for the team were much appreciated.

“terrible… my freshman daughter said ushers killed the spirit of the students.”

That’s what you’re upset about? The offense scored 12 points. I think they did more to sap the energy than even Notre Dame ushers could.

“Wins are wins thank God ND is playing football this fall.”

I can agree with you there. Although some people don’t…

“i don’t care!!!! i do not give a single s–t!! we shouldn’t have football this is a pandemic!!!!!”

OK, now this person definitely needs a Xanax.

In all seriousness, I will grant you that there are several SEC schools who seem to not be handling this pandemic appropriately (looking at you Texas A&M and Ole Miss). At this point though, I really don’t know what to tell you. I would suggest not consuming sports content in any form if it really upsets you this much.

We could write a thesis on this topic and I’d really rather not. I respect your opinion on this issue because you seem to prioritize health and safety above all else. I’d like to think these schools are doing that for their players as well, which is the least they can do considering the lack of compensation. It’s a problem if universities are misleading them about attendance numbers and they don’t know what they’re getting themselves into, but for the most part people are willing to take the risk whether you like it or not. So long as nothing goes horribly wrong, all parties involved in collegiate sports are going to continue as planned.

That’s all I have to say on that. Now back to the fun stuff.

“Happy for the win. Confused by the offense.”

Agreed.

“hnnghhhhhhhgh.”

Pretty much in line with how I felt.

“Meh.” / “bruh.”

I feel that.

Well this was fun! Don’t you think? We should do this again soon, preferably after a Pittsburgh game that provides a bit more clarity on what we can expect from Notre Dame come time for the only game that actually matters in the regular season.

Tags: ,

About Hayden Adams

Hayden is a senior double majoring in Physics and Film, Television & Theatre with a minor in Journalism, Ethics & Democracy. He is a proud son of the state of Kentucky and member of Zahm House. Feel free to provide him procrastination material in the form of lively discussion about college football and basketball or the genius of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Contact Hayden