Cosgrove to step away from University, return in spring

Notre Dame women’s basketball forward Danielle Cosgrove announced Tuesday via Twitter that she would be stepping away from the University for the remainder of the fall semester citing mental health reasons.

“There is nothing more important than mental health, and I have been struggling with mine for quite some time,” Cosgrove said in the tweet. “After talking it over with my family, teammates and coaching staff, I have decided that I will be taking a leave of absence until the second semester. During this time away focused on my wellbeing, I am hopeful on getting myself to a place to be a healthier person.”

A 6-foot-4 junior from Holbrook, New York, Cosgrove was a member of a four-player 2018 class that featured her along with guards Jordan Nixon, Katlyn Gilbert and Abby Prohaska. Nixon has since transferred to Texas A&M.

Cosgrove was a freshman on the 2018-19 Notre Dame team that finished runners-up nationally after a one-point championship game loss to Baylor. During that season she appeared in 27 of 39 games as primarily a 3-point specialist. Her playing time increased last season as she appeared in all 31 contests and started four for a rebuilding Irish team.

It is unclear when Cosgrove will attempt to rejoin the women’s basketball program, but she did express her intent to do so.

“I remain committed to my teammates, and I’m excited to support them as they prepare for the upcoming season,” she said.