Friends with Sisters strengthens relationships among students, sisters

Friends with Sisters, a program of campus ministry at Saint Mary’s, was founded in 1976 and has remained popular among sisters and students alike for nearly 50 years.

The connection between Saint Mary’s and the Sisters of the Holy Cross is an invaluable experience, senior Addie Bobosky said in an email. 

Bobosky joined Friends with Sisters her freshman year and has remained an active member ever since. 

Students are invited to apply to the club, and if selected, are partnered with a Holy Cross sister, with whom they are able to communicate and socialize with in organized events and casual settings. In a typical year, group events range from costume parties to bingo.

I am so thankful to be a part of the club because of the friendships,” Bobosky said. “My sister, Sr. Claire Alfred, has been such a blessing in my life. I truly enjoy being with her and learning about her life. Pre-Covid, we would go to church together, eat Sunday brunch together and participate in all the club events together.”

For Bobosky, the experience became even more special when her sister Julia, a sophomore, joined during her first year at the College. 

It has been such a blessing going to events together as well as bonding with both of our convent sisters,” Addie Bobosky said.

“I’m honored to have such an amazing opportunity to have a sister from Sisters of Holy Cross,” Julia Bobosky said. “Being able to have a personal relationship, learning from them, sharing their life stories as well as yours, our memories — I will never forget.”

Julia Bobosky spoke to the role that her sister, Judy Murphy, played in her transition to college and battle with homesickness. 

“She would always tell me how loved I am, and if I need anything to always come to her,” she said. “She always thinks of others before herself, and I loved having the opportunity in my life to learn from such a role model.”

When students were sent home over spring break, the Bobosky sisters used the opportunity to write over 50 letters to every sister with words of encouragement and prayer to let them know they were thinking of them. 

Due to the ongoing pandemic and added restrictions at the convent, students have not been able to visit the sisters this semester which has impinged upon the normal operations of the group. 

Letter writing has become a staple of the club’s activities this fall to maintain contact and stay in touch with the sisters. 

Club president, senior Allison Schibi, organized an upcoming Halloween parade in which students can dress up in costumes and walk around the convent for the sisters to see. 

“I highly recommend this club to anyone looking for a lifelong friendship with a Holy Cross sister. I promise that you will learn so much from their experiences,” Addie Bobosky said.