-

-

FTT chair named 2020 Sheedy Award recipient

| Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Pamela Wojcik, professor of film, television and theatre (FTT) at Notre Dame, has been awarded the 2020 Sheedy Award for Excellence in Teaching in the College of Arts and Letters, associate dean for undergraduate studies Mary Flannery announced in a release Monday.

The annual award — first given out in 1970 — recognizes a faculty member in the College “who has demonstrated sustained excellence in teaching, informed by research, over a wide range of courses while employing innovative and creative teaching methods.”

The release said Wojcik is known for sparking an interest in students in writing and film while pursuing her own research in the field which is focused on American film and issues with space, gender, performance and genre.

Employed at Notre Dame since 1998, Wojcik currently serves as the chair of the department of film, television and theatre, with concurrent appointments in the program of gender studies and department of American Studies.

Former chair of the FTT department James Collins said in the release that Wojcik’s integration of research and teaching makes her an exemplary recipient of the Sheedy Award.

“She integrates her research into her courses, not just on occasion, but in practically every course she teaches, whether it be a new elective that grows directly out of an on-going book project or a careful recalibrating of the way we conceptualize our required core courses,” Collins said.

Wojcik has taught two required classes for FTT majors, “Critical Approaches to Screen Cultures” and “Global Cinema I,” as well as upper-level electives, including “Sinatra,” “Film and Popular Culture” and “The Movie Musical.”

In addition, Wojcik has served as a thesis advisor for numerous seniors within the department.

“Years out of schooling, I still keep in constant touch with Professor Wojcik because her role as a mentor in my life did not end when I left the classroom – in fact it has only grown,” one of her previous students and recent alumnus said of Wojcik as an advisor.

The Sheedy Award ceremony will take place virtually Tuesday, Nov. 17 at 4 p.m.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report