Jordan Genmark Heath to transfer to UCLA

Now former Notre Dame linebacker Jordan Genmark Heath announced via Twitter Sunday night that he will be joining the UCLA Bruins.

Hailing from San Diego, CA, Genmark Heath, a three-star safety recruit per 247Sports.com, was converted to linebacker and saw action in a rotational capacity each of his first three seasons in South Bend. He recorded 16 tackles in both his freshman and sophomore campaigns, and posted 10 tackles, including his first career tackle for loss, in his junior season. The best statistical performances of Genmark Heath's career came via a six-tackle showing at Northwestern in 2018 and a five-tackle performance against LSU in the 2017 Citrus Bowl.

1602539862-a135c28e8cd7adb-700x480
Former Irish linebacker Jordan Genmark Heath looks on during Notre Dame's 40-7 win over Boston College on senior day last season. Genmark Heath announced Sunday that he would be transferring to UCLA.
Former Irish linebacker Jordan Genmark Heath looks on during Notre Dame's 40-7 win over Boston College on senior day last season. Genmark Heath announced Sunday he would be transferring to UCLA.

With current senior linebackers Drew White and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah — both of whom tied for the team lead in tackles last season with 80 each — helming the starting Mike linebacker and rover positions, respectively, Genmark Heath looked to fill the void left by former Irish buck linebacker Asmar Bilal.

Bilal, who exhausted his eligibility after last season and signed with the Los Angeles Chargers this fall, struggled his first three seasons to live up to his billing as a former four-star prospect and No. 7 inside linebacker recruit nationally, but broke through in 2019 after moving from rover to buck, finishing third on the team in tackles with 79. Notre Dame fans hoped that defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Clark Lea would be able to spark a similar development in Genmark Heath going into this season.

However, a lack of spring practice left Genmark Heath without sufficient time to solidify a starting role. Despite rumblings that he may have managed to earn that spot in fall camp, he failed to crack the two-deep Notre Dame depth chart ahead of their season opener against Duke. Genmark Heath promptly announced that he would transfer the same day that the depth chart was released.

Barring a redshirt, Genmark Heath will have one year of eligibility remaining with the Bruins.