-

-

Football

ND football reports 2 players in isolation after 284 tests yield negative results

| Tuesday, October 13, 2020

On Monday, the Notre Dame football public relations team released COVID-19 test results from last week. From Monday through Sunday, 284 football student athletes were tested for COVID-19 and zero came back positive. 

This is a major turnaround from just two weeks ago when the Irish had 25 players in isolation with 14 more in quarantine, and were forced to postpone their first road matchup of the season against Wake Forest. That contest with the Demon Deacons, previously scheduled for Sept. 26, will now be played Dec. 12. The outbreak was linked to a team meal before the South Florida game, according to head coach Brian Kelly. 

Notre Dame’s matchup against Florida State was seriously in question, as there were doubts if they could nurse their team back to health in such a limited time frame. The team was able to safely transition a large majority of those individuals back into facilities and, after a successful recovery from the breakout in their locker room, Kelly decided to give the team ball from Saturday’s contest against the Seminoles to team physician Dr. Matt Leiszler and head trainer Rob Hunt. 

As of Monday, there were two players in isolation through contact tracing and none in quarantine.