-

-

Notre Dame, Kite Realty Group Trust to bring Trader Joe’s to Eddy Street Commons

| Friday, October 16, 2020

Last week, Notre Dame announced that California-based grocery chain Trader Joe’s will be the next addition to Eddy Street Commons, an area the University has been developing in collaboration with Kite Realty Group Trust.

Stretching several blocks off the south end of campus, Eddy Street Commons has become a popular spot for shopping and dining in the Notre Dame community. With the partnership of Kite Realty Group Trust of Indianapolis, the University approached the creation of Eddy Street Commons over the past 15 years in two phases.

The first opened in 2009 and established the structure for a modern town center, introducing retail and restaurant space with condos, apartments and townhomes. Since then, Eddy Street has served not just the students of the tri-campus community, but also the Northeast Neighborhood.

Trader Joe’s, known for its Hawaiian shirt-clad employees, will be joining a blend of restaurants, fast food options, businesses and residences as it opens on the southern end of Eddy Street.

The store stands out from many typical grocery store chains, as it sells private-label goods. With its growing popularity among young people, many students are looking forward to having access to Trader Joe’s within a short walk from the Notre Dame residence halls.

Junior Daley Ryan said Trader Joe’s will be conveniently placed for on-campus students who do not want to venture too far for groceries.

“I think it’s going to be really beneficial for everyone who wants to go to the grocery store and buy some things and not have to Uber there,” he said.

Junior Katherine Urasky believes Trader Joe’s is the right kind of store to add to Eddy Street Commons.

“I go there every so often, usually to Chipotle or Purely Pressed,” Urasky said. “I think it’s a great addition. I feel like there’s a community here that is attracted to that type of store.”

Having access to a nearby grocery store, especially a familiar one, proves to be very desirable to college students. First year Kayla Nguyen frequents her local Trader Joe’s and said she is happy to know that the chain is coming to Notre Dame.

“I’m really excited about it because Trader Joe’s is one of my favorite grocery stores back at home,” Nguyen said. “Having it in walking distance, especially at Eddy Street, a place that I’m really familiar with, it’s really convenient.”

Although the University had no further details to share at this time, the now highly anticipated opening does have students excited to grab some of their favorite Trader Joe’s items, and even recommend some to friends.

“‘Hold the Cone’ ice cream is my favorite little treat to eat after a meal,” Nguyen said. “I also love their sparkling watermelon juice. That one’s classic.”

Nguyen believes having the specialty grocer on Eddy Street will bring more students to the area, whether they need groceries or a bite to eat.

“I think it could also open more things to do because a lot of people like to grocery shop together,” Nguyen said. “Even if you didn’t need groceries, you could always go there for a sweet snack or some ice cream if you wanted to treat yourself with your friends.”

About Siobhan Loughney

Contact Siobhan