-

-

Sports

Observer Fantasy Football Corner — Week 7

, , and | Wednesday, October 21, 2020

You know the drill. Fantasy Corner Week 7 — let’s get to it.

Sam Ouhaj

Must start: Matthew Stafford, QB, Detroit Lions

Stafford has always been a Quarterback who looks great sometimes and at other times, looks like he is completely lost. However, the one thing Stafford has going for him is facing up against a terrible Falcons team. The Falcons secondary has looked lost at times and while they were able to force three interceptions on Kirk Cousins, Cousins still finished the game with three touchdowns, mostly in garbage time — but this is fantasy, and points are points. The Falcons are currently allowing 335 yards a game to opposing quarterbacks as well as an average of three passing touchdowns a game. I believe Stafford is in for a big day against a Falcons team that finally got their first win against the Vikings last week. 

Must sit: Travis Fulgham, WR, Philadelphia Eagles

Travis Fulgham has established himself as the Eagles number one wideout in wake of the constant injuries that have plagued this team. After being cut by the Lions just a few weeks early on into the season, Fulgham has been on fire since joining his new team. Fulgham has found the end zone three times in three games and has averaged about 95 receiving yards a game against some notable defenses that include the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers. The issue I have with Fulgham this week is that he is the only target left, it seems, in Philly. James Bradberry is playing out of his mind for the New York Giants, and I expect that to carry over this Thursday. While I like Fulgham as a pick up for future games, I advise sitting him out against the Giants.

Who to pick up: 

Demarcus Robinson, WR, Kansas City Chiefs (Owned in 1.9% of fantasy leagues)

Hunter Renfrow, WR, Las Vegas Raiders (Owned in 27.7% of fantasy leagues)

Andrew McGuinness

Must start: Darren Waller, TE, Las Vegas Raiders

Waller has been an outstanding option three of the last four weeks, putting up 85+ yards in two of those performances and finding the end zone in two of them as well. Coming off a bye, Waller should be well-rested to take on a Bucs squad that ranks in the top half of the NFL in fantasy points allowed to tight ends. Waller continues to be one of the most productive players at his position; you’re gonna be hard-pressed to find a tight end with higher upside than Waller right now.

Must sit: John Brown, WR, Buffalo Bills

Just like he did in 2019, Brown began this season with a hot start, stringing together consecutive games with 70+ receiving yards and a touchdown in the season’s first two weeks. However, he’s been dealing with a nagging knee injury basically ever since, and it shows in his production. Brown has been held off the fantasy scoresheet in three of the last four weeks, and with head coach Sean McDermott acknowledging Brown isn’t at 100%, that may not be changing soon. There’s a fair chance Brown is given the week off to rest up, but if he plays, even against the wasteland that is the Jets secondary, he’s not worth starting given his current condition and recent results.

Who to pick up:

D’Andre Swift, RB, Detroit Lions (Owned in 76% of fantasy leagues)

Jamison Cook

Must start: Chase Claypool, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers

Claypool followed up a record-breaking, four-touchdown performance in week five with four catches for 74 yards and a rushing touchdown in Pittsburgh’s dominant win over the Browns in week six. He has established a strong connection with Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger, and his touchdown production — five in the last two weeks — is very encouraging. Claypool’s usage in the running game adds another dimension to his game and even more value to his fantasy owners. With fellow WR Diontae Johnson still listed as questionable and a matchup with the Titans defense, who has given up the 28th most passing yards per game at 272.8, Claypool should be locked into your lineup for the time being.  

Must sit: Le’Veon Bell, RB, Kansas City Chiefs

Bell did not play this past week after signing with Kansas City on Oct. 15 but is expected to suit up in week seven assuming he fulfills the required six straight days of negative COVID tests. His new backfield partner, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, rushed for a career-high 161 yards in week six, his first 100-yard game since week one. Edwards-Helaire is clearly a competent back, and it is uncertain how Bell will fit into the Chiefs offense. Presumably, he will take more of the receiving load, one area in which Edwards-Helaire has not stood out, but it is hard to justify starting Bell right away. Wait at least one week to see where Bell fits into the Chiefs offensive scheme before putting him back in your starting lineup.  

Who to pick up:

Tim Patrick, WR, Denver Broncos (Owned in 18.4% of fantasy leagues)

John Kalemkerian

Must start: Jerick McKinnon, RB, San Francisco 49ers

The 49ers backfield has been a mess this season, and lead back Raheem Mostert went down with a high ankle sprain in week six which is poised to send him back to IR, opening the door for McKinnon to shine. Mostert missed weeks three and four, during which McKinnon was the clear lead back, receiving an average of 14 carries and five catches per contest over that two-week span. Even better, he scored a touchdown each of those weeks and was a solid fantasy start. Those numbers should be replicated again in week seven, with the 49ers taking a trip to Foxborough in a game where the Niners are unlikely to be playing from behind, which should translate to plenty of work for McKinnon.

Must sit: Michael Gallup, WR, Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys looked entirely lost on Monday night in their first game without star QB Dak Prescott. The 38-10 blowout was tough for Cowboys fans to watch, but also confirmed what many fantasy managers had dreaded: Andy Dalton is not Dak Prescott. Prescott, who still leads the league in passing yards despite having missed a game and a half, was able to feed the Cowboys three-headed WR beast (Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and rookie CeeDee Lamb). It’s now clear that Gallup will be most affected by Prescott’s season-ending injury, especially in week seven, where America’s Team will go up against a Washington secondary that has allowed the fewest fantasy points to the WR position group all year. Definitely keep Gallup on your bench this week.

Who to pick up:

Tee Higgins, WR, Cincinnati Bengals (Owned in 52.4% of fantasy leagues)

About Jamison Cook

Contact Jamison

About Sam Ouhaj

Contact Sam

About Andrew McGuinness

Contact Andrew

About John Kalemkerian

Contact John