Two Notre Dame football players test positive for COVID-19

Two members of the Notre Dame football team tested positive for COVID-19 last week, the team announced in a statement Tuesday morning

According to University Physician Dr. Matt Leiszler, the two positive tests came from a total of 248 COVID-19 tests administered to Notre Dame football student-athletes from Monday to Sunday, the statement said. 

According to the statement, neither of the two student-athletes who tested positive traveled for Saturday’s game at Pittsburgh, and no close contacts were identified. As of Monday, three players are in isolation and another player is in quarantine as a result of being identified as a close contact, the statement said. 

The undefeated Irish (5-0, 4-0 ACC) are coming off one of their most convincing performances of the season after routing Pitt 45-3 at Heinz Field and are ranked No. 4 in this week’s AP and Coaches’ polls.  

Notre Dame travels next to Atlanta, Georgia to take on Georgia Tech (2-4, 2-3 ACC) at Bobby Dodd Stadium this Saturday. 

Notre Dame’s campus has experienced an increase in COVID-19 cases during October. In the week leading up to the Pittsburgh game, the number of new cases peaked Tuesday with a total of 28 positive tests, according to the University dashboard