-

-

College administration provides updates on equity, inclusion initiatives

| Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Saint Mary’s President Katie Conboy and executive director of inclusion and equity Redgina Hill addressed the initiatives the College has made in the past five months regarding equity and inclusivity in an email update Wednesday.

“So, what has happened since June? Quite a lot of actual progress and formal planning for even more,“ the email said. “We made a public statement denouncing the murders of George Floyd and others as we responded to our alumnae demands. We have established not only a scholarship named for early African American alumna Marguerite Edwards ‘53, but also a scholarship named for Juanita Boozer Bay ’52, the first African American graduate of Saint Mary’s College.“

The email also acknowledged the programming established by the Office of Inclusion and Equity to promote discourse with events such as Black Lives Matter film festivals, art galleries and panels.

Saint Mary’s also enhanced resources for underrepresented students and plans to increase education at all levels of the College’s leadership.

“Looking toward the future, we have added an assistant director position in the Office of Inclusion and Equity, and we have launched and nearly completed a college-wide strategic planning process that commits to new diversity, equity, inclusion and justice goals,“ the email said.

Conboy and Hill said they have and will continue to work to be sure the Catholic values of solidarity and human dignity live throughout the campus.

“We are encouraged by the work that we have been able to accomplish in the first year of the Office of Inclusion and Equity’s existence. We have taken great strides but there is still more important work to be done,“ the email said. “We will continue to evaluate our progress, engage in difficult dialogues, and pilot new ideas as we move forward in our quest for a just campus.“

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report