-

-

ND Men’s Soccer

Game against Panthers canceled; Irish to face Hokies at home

| Monday, November 2, 2020

The Notre Dame men’s soccer team had a matchup against Pittsburgh that was scheduled for this past Friday, but it was canceled and will not be rescheduled. The next game, the second to last of the regular season, is scheduled to take place today, Nov. 2, at 1 p.m. against Virginia Tech.

The game, which was rescheduled from a postponement earlier in the season, will be the 11th time the Irish (3-2, 1-1 ACC) face the Hokies (1-1-2, 1-1-2 ACC). Notre Dame has won six of the matches and tied one, and they have won three of the four that have been played at home at Alumni Stadium. The last time the two programs met was Oct. 18 of last year, when the Hokies came away with a 2-1 victory.

Junya Kanemitsu | The Observer

Former Irish defender Felicien Dumas tries to keep a defender away during Notre dame’s 4-2 win against Seattle on Sept. 6, 2019, at home.

The Irish are currently third in their region of the ACC, trailing Pitt (4-0) and Virginia (2-2-1), while Virginia Tech is in fourth and trails Notre Dame by a point.

Notre Dame is nearing the end of a challenging regular season, where they are playing seven teams, all of which made the 2019 NCAA Tournament. The Irish are looking to finish this season with a winning record, a feat they have accomplished 38 out of 44 times dating back to 1977.

Leading the way for Notre Dame is senior goalkeeper Keagan McLaughlin. He has eight career starts in an Irish uniform and has not allowed a goal in five of them, including a pair of 1-0 wins this season (over Kentucky and Syracuse). During each of those games, he notched a career-best four saves.

On the offensive side, junior forward Jack Lynn has been living up to his place on the ACC Preseason Watch List; he currently leads the team with three goals on the year and 16 over his career. Those three goals have come one apiece in the last three games, including the game-winning score against Syracuse.

The 1 p.m. game today will be played at Alumni Stadium and broadcast live on ACC Network.