-

-

It’s OK not to be OK

| Tuesday, November 3, 2020

I don’t think I have to convince anyone that our campus community is suffering. From COVID concerns to injustices against POC, declining mental health, incessant academic demands, heightened political tensions and the tragic loss of two of our peers and the serious injury of a third this past weekend, we all have plenty of reasons to feel overwhelmed. Personally, I am not OK. The saying “it’s OK to not be OK” is something that I have to remind myself of daily, but it is a difficult truth to grasp when it seems like most people around me are doing just fine. I’ll be the first to admit that this semester has been challenging. I feel as though I am not able to give 100% to anything anymore because of the number and depth of things requiring my attention. I have felt disconnected from friends, family and God. But I also know how blessed I have been in the midst of all these difficulties. Whatever you are feeling these days, whether you’re sad, grieving, grateful, hopeful, overwhelmed or any number of other perfectly valid feelings, know that you are not alone. We all handle these things differently, and it really is OK to not be OK. So be gentle with yourselves, friends. Things are hard, but not because you are doing something wrong or because you are not enough. They are just hard. Don’t be afraid or ashamed to seek help. Reach out to the people in your corner. Be here for yourselves and for one another and remember to be grateful in the midst of the struggle. We owe ourselves and each other that.

Cheyenne Schuster

senior

Oct. 29

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]