-

-

Sports

Observer Fantasy Corner — Week 10

, , , and | Wednesday, November 11, 2020

We’re getting down to the nitty gritty as the trade deadline approaches throughout fantasy football leagues. Coming off yet another massively entertaining weekend of NFL action — whether that entertainment came via Tom Brady and the Buccaneers getting embarrassed or from the Jets possibly taking an intentional dive to increase their chances of drafting Trevor Lawrence (as NFL conspiracy theorists have discussed) — see what our Observer Fantasy Corner crew has to say on the moves you should be making in your league.

Sam Ouhaj

Must start: Jakobi Meyers, WR, New England Patriots

Jakobi Meyers has established himself as the number one option in New England. After posting 12 receptions for 169 yards against the New York Jets, Jakobi has become one of my favorite players to place in my starting lineup. Granted, it was against the 0-9 Jets. Meyers is owned in only 10.3% of leagues, and while he is going up against the Baltimore Ravens, who have two top corners in Marcus Peters and Marlon Humprehy, I still am confident that Meyers will have a big game. Meyers has only been active in six games and already has 294 yards which sits him at an average of 49 yards a game. This is not great, but Jakobi will only continue to improve during his second season, and going forward he will be a solid flex option. 

Must sit: Kareem Hunt, RB, Cleveland Browns

Nick Chubb is set to return this week against the Texans and will be the No. 1 back going forward. While Hunt has been solid the entire season and done quite well in Chubb’s absence, his role on the field is going to continue to dwindle. Hunt may be a good flex option in some cases, but I just cannot see him being worth the play. Hunt is great trade bait with the trade deadline in most leagues coming around the corner, I advise shipping him off for some solid flex players and or bench players you know that could break out for a big game.  

Who to pick up:

Jakobi Meyers, WR, New England Patriots (Owned in 10.3% of fantasy leagues)

Jalen Reagor, WR, Philadelphia Eagles (Owned in 21.0% of fantasy leagues)

Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Miami Dolphins (Owned in 28% of fantasy leagues) 

Elizabeth Gasiorowski

Must start: Danny Amendola, WR, Detroit Lions

After Kenny Golladay had been sidelined for the Lions, veteran WR Danny Amendola stepped up big time this week against the Vikings. Amendola had a season-high seven catches on 10 targets for 77 yards, and I would expect his numbers to increase in the weeks ahead as the Lions face the Washington Football Team and Carolina Panthers. It’s clear that Amendola and coach Matt Patricia work well together from their Super Bowl-winning seasons with the Patriots, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Patricia continues to lean on this veteran WR in the weeks ahead. The Amendola I know from years past — Danny “Playoff” Amendola, if you will — just seems to shine as the season heads into its second half, leading me to believe in him as a solid starter this week. 

Must sit: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Tennessee Titans

With the Titans facing the outstanding Colts defense this upcoming week, QB Ryan Tannehill isn’t in the best position to produce points. After some solid weeks earlier in the year, Tannehill finished this Sunday’s matchup with the Chicago Bears with 158 passing yards and 2 TD, and made 10 completions on 21 attempts, nothing special. This week, however, he’s slated to face off against the Colts, who have allowed the third fewest points this year, are No. 1 against quarterbacks and are looking to rebound after a loss to the Ravens. After his mediocre performances and tough matchup ahead, there are much better options at QB this week than Ryan Tannehill. 

Who to pick up: 

Duke Johnson, RB, Houston Texans (Owned in 16.7% of fantasy leagues)

Danny Amendola, WR, Detroit Lions (Owned in 10.3% of fantasy leagues)

Rex Burkhead, RB, New England Patriots (Owned in 27.3% of fantasy leagues)

Andrew McGuinness

Must start: Drew Lock, QB, Denver Broncos

After a slow start to the year helped by a thumb injury, Lock has really picked up the pace for a Broncos offense starting to hit its stride. The Broncos’ young quarterback of the future has thrown for over 550 yards combined in the last two weeks, firing five touchdowns in the process. Lock even had a chance to put up even gaudier numbers but missed a couple makable throws, growing pains that should smooth out as the season progresses. Denver is facing a Raiders defense that has struggled to defend the pass this year (10th-most passing yards allowed, tied for 28th with 3 interceptions), making Lock a high-reward start at QB this week.

Must sit: D.J. Moore, WR, Carolina Panthers

Just when Moore looked to be finding top form with three straight 93-yard performances and three touchdowns across Weeks 5-7, the Panthers’ top receiver has slowed down once again. It’s been an inconsistent season for Moore on a Carolina team that’s bottom-half in the NFL in receiving touchdowns. With Moore facing a stout Bucs defense hungry to respond after allowing a season-high 38 points to the Saints on Monday, Moore may be in for another valley this week before his next peak arrives.

Who to pick up: Duke Johnson, RB, Houston Texans (Owned in 16.7% of fantasy leagues)

John Kalemkerian

Must start: Sterling Shepard, WR, New York Giants

In contrast to the Giants, who are having a disappointing season, Shepard has been a model of consistency when he has been able to stay on the field. Evident over his last three games, during which he’s been targeted nearly nine times per game, this consistency gives the fifth-year Oklahoma-product a flex floor. He represents the perfect flex play in Week 10, going up against a suspect Philadelphia secondary, against which he scored his only touchdown of the season back in Week 7. Shepard is a high-floor play in Week 10 and should be slotted into your flex spot if he’s on your fantasy roster.

Must sit: Melvin Gordon, RB, Denver Broncos

Anyone who used a middle-round pick on Gordon was certainly pleased as he performed well over the first quarter of the season, taking advantage of a Phillip Lindsay injury to put up RB2 numbers. However, after an injury of his own and the return of Lindsay, the former Los Angeles Charger’s production has plummeted to the point where he has only 14 carries over the past two games. This trend is concerning because it signals an even split in carries with Lindsay. As a result, Gordon, whose fantasy value comes mainly from volume, isn’t worth a start against a solid Raiders run defense this week.

Who to pick up: 

Darnell Mooney, WR, Chicago Bears (Owned in 23.8% of fantasy leagues)

Tim Patrick, WR, Denver Broncos (Owned in 23.1% of fantasy leagues)

Jamison Cook

Must start: Cooper Kupp, WR, Los Angeles Rams

Coming off a bye, the Rams and Kupp should be nice and rested to face one of the league’s worst defenses in the Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks rank dead last in the league in passing yards given up per game at over 362.1. Seattle is also giving up 30.4 points per game, which ranks 30th in the NFL. While the Seahawks have been dreadful on the defensive side of the ball, they have been phenomenal on offense, leading the league in both passing yards per game and points per game. This could mean a wildly high-scoring game, a great sign for Kupp owners. In Week 8 before the Rams’ bye, Kupp saw a whopping 20 targets from QB Jared Goff, and he has not seen less than five targets in a game this season. Look for the Rams to have a great offensive game, something that Kupp should benefit from greatly.

Must sit: Justin Jefferson, WR, Minnesota Vikings

After a monster 39.6-point performance in Week 6 in standard PPR leagues, Jefferson has had a bye followed by two single-digit outings. The rookie receiver faces another tough defense in Week 10 vs. the Chicago Bears. Chicago ranks in the top 10 of many defensive metrics, including points, passing yards and total yards given up per game. The Bears’ stagnant offense will also make for a low-scoring contest that will not favor Jefferson in the passing game. On top of all that, running back Dalvin Cook’s unbelievable string of games has caused the Vikings to lean heavily on the running game. Fantasy owners should leave Jefferson on the bench indefinitely or until he rediscovers his early season form.

Who to pick up:

About John Kalemkerian

Contact John

About Jamison Cook

Contact Jamison

About Sam Ouhaj

Contact Sam

About Elizabeth Gasiorowski

Contact Elizabeth

About Andrew McGuinness

Contact Andrew