-

-

irish insider

Podcast: Wrapping Clemson, moving on to Boston College

| Friday, November 13, 2020

It’s a bit of a long-winded, rambling, all-over-the-place edition of the Basement Breakdown, but that’s OK because Notre Dame just knocked off the now-former No. 1 team in the country. It’s a three- and (for a brief period) four-person show tonight talking all things Notre Dame’s win over Clemson, plus a bunch of other miscellaneous points of discussion:

• Notre Dame just beat No. 1 Clemson, so that was fun.
  • Plays of the game and game balls from our football beat — you’ll be shocked who Ellen gave hers to.
  • Notre Dame belongs at No. 2 nationally, right? Ohio State’s played Nebraska, Rutgers and a bad Penn State.
  • Is Ian Book the best quarterback of Brian Kelly’s Notre Dame tenure, best since Brady Quinn and maybe even better than Quinn?
  • Boy oh boy, D.J. Uiagalelei is a beast.
  • But hey, Notre Dame just held Travis Etienne to 28 rushing yards; let that sink in for a second.
  • Boston College and former Irish quarterback Phil Jurkovec are playing a lot better than people expected, despite Phil’s offensive line actively trying to get him killed (re: 22 sacks).
  • Did Phil even come to Notre Dame to play school? Are he and his girlfriend still together? Was it really him at one of Hayden’s dorm’s parties back in 2018? We’ll probably never know (but that last one is a no).
  • Convince us that Dabo Swinney didn’t intimidate the referees into picking up the flag on that fourth-quarter, non-defensive pass interference call.
  • Speaking of the referees, ship them off to the Sunbelt already.
  • Hayden did not really just call Alabama QB Mac Jones a game manager; time for one Hail Mary for each of his touchdowns as penance.
  • Also, Charlotte thinks Mac Jones is cute; you heard it here first.
  • Hayden and Aidan finally quash the beef (sort of) over how the Turkey Bowl went down, and Hayden brags about his not-brag-worthy 4-5 fantasy football performance. Aidan calling him “washed up” was a low blow, though.

And even more stuff sprinkled through an hour-long episode. Enjoy.

The Basement Breakdown is available on AnchorSpotify, Google Podcasts, Breaker and RadioPublic. Listen via any of those apps or in the player below.

Please consider following the podcast and checking us out on Twitter: @ObserverSports, @HaydenAdamsND, @jimmyyward, @char_edmonds99 and @GeyerEllen