University trustee, benefactor Arthur Decio dies

Arthur Decio, who has been a Notre Dame trustee since 1971, died Friday, according to a press release. He was 90.

Before becoming a trustee, Decio was the chairman, president, director and chief executive officer of Skyline Corp. Skyline Corp. produces manufactured housing and recreational vehicles. The company was originally operated out of a welding garage in Elkhart, Indiana. Now, there are eight operating divisions in the nation.

Decio donated money for the construction of Decio Faculty Hall and the Patricia George Decio Theatre in the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center. He also founded the University’s Cavanaugh Council and donated funds to the Snite Museum, Student Emergency Relief Fund, Ara Parseghian Medical Research Fund and Hesburgh Libraries.

He received an honorary degree from Notre Dame in 1975 and also received honorary degrees from Hillsdale, Indiana State University, Purdue University, Saint Mary’s College, Vincennes University and Salem College.

Decio was appointed by the president to three national commissions over the course of his life.

University President Fr. John Jenkins expressed his condolences to Decio’s family and friends.

“Art was a cherished, wise and generous friend of Notre Dame, and a dear friend to me personally,” Jenkins said. “He likewise lent his many talents to innumerable civic, religious, educational and humanitarian causes here in the South Bend-Elkhart region, statewide and nationally. My prayers are with his family and many friends as we mourn his passing while celebrating a life so very well lived.”