-

-

irish insider

Gibbons makes impact, starting in most senior season games

| Friday, December 18, 2020

During his tenure at Notre Dame, offensive guard Dillan Gibbons made a strong impact on the team. Whether it has been from the sidelines, special teams or offensive line, Gibbons played an essential part in Notre Dame football over the past four years.

Gibbons, who is a native of Clearwater, Florida, and attended Clearwater Central High School, entered Notre Dame as a three-star recruit and the No. 374-ranked overall player and number 38-ranked offensive tackle by 247Sports Composite in the 2017 recruiting class. Gibbons was Notre Dame’s first commitment of that class.

Although Gibbons did not get any playing time his freshman year, his impact on the team did not go unnoticed. Gibbons was one of 10 scholarship freshmen who did not see playing time and spent the season on the scout team, but he was honored as the Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year for his efforts.

Allison Thornton | The Observer

Irish senior offensive lineman Dillan Gibbons prepares to block on a punt during Notre Dame’s 21-20 win over Virginia Tech on Nov. 2, 2019 at Notre Dame Stadium.

In his sophomore season, Gibbons saw playing time in five games, but he still received very little action due to the depth of the offensive line in front of him. His junior year, Gibbons played in all 13 games — most solely on special teams — recording the first tackle of his career against Michigan.

As a senior, Gibbons has seen action in nine out of 10 games so far this season. Arguably the high point of the season for Gibbons was getting the start at left guard in the regular season finale and Senior Day game against Syracuse.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report