-

-

Pete Buttigieg expected to be nominated as transportation secretary

| Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg is expected to be nominated by President-elect Joe Biden to be his transportation secretary, according to sources close to the President-elect.

The secretary of transportation oversees federal transportation programs and an agency with about 58,000 employees.

After dropping out of the presidential race, Buttigieg endorsed Biden for president. Buttigieg announced his candidacy for president in South Bend in April 2019. Buttigieg, 38, previously served two terms as South Bend’s mayor from 2012 to 2020.

Mary Bernard | The Observer
Pete Buttigieg speaks at the Century Center on March 1 where he officially announced an end to his 2020 presidential candidacy.

Following Buttigieg’s endorsement, Biden compared him to his late son Beau and declared Buttigieg would be a mainstay in America’s political culture. Beau Biden, who died from brain cancer in 2015, served in Iraq, and Buttigieg completed a tour in Afghanistan while he was mayor of South Bend.

“I promise you, you’re going to end up, over your lifetime, seeing a hell of a lot more of Pete than you are of me,” Biden said.

Buttigieg joined Notre Dame’s faculty as a fellow in the fall of 2020, teaching an undergraduate course and working on research projects.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report