University announces pre-matriculation testing procedures for spring 2021 semester

The Notre Dame COVID-19 Response Unit (CRU) outlined their policies for pre-matriculation testing for the upcoming spring 2021 semester in an email to students Monday. Undergraduate and professional students will be required to schedule an appointment to be tested at the University Testing Center as soon as they arrive on campus, the email said. Students may begin scheduling their appointment on Dec. 16 and are advised to do so by Dec. 18. The testing schedule will be staggered based on health and safety protocols.

“Based on guidance from public health officials, appointments for on-campus students have been staggered to ensure that, to the extent possible, roommates do not move in on the same day and that no more than 20 percent of a given hall arrives on the same day,” the email said.

Doctoral and masters students are not required to complete pre-matriculation testing because of their weekly participation in surveillance testing during their stay on campus during winter break. However, testing is encouraged and will be available to them. All students participating in pre-matriculation testing must self-isolate in their residence hall rooms or off-campus housing until their saliva test results come back. Students are required to use carryout for food or groceries and eat by themselves while they wait for their result. The University will inform students if these plans need to be adjusted due to changing conditions of the pandemic. “With the changing nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, should the University need to adapt these plans in the coming weeks, we will communicate this information promptly,” the email said. “We continue to monitor conditions locally and nationally, and will make any needed adjustments to ensure the health and safety of everyone in our community.”