Upcoming football, two ND men’s basketball matchups canceled
Observer Sports Staff | Thursday, December 3, 2020
Notre Dame football’s game against Wake Forest, which was scheduled for Dec. 12, is canceled, the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) announced Tuesday. The game was originally rescheduled due to a spike in COVID-19 cases on the team earlier this year.
”The league’s Athletic Directors have voted to preserve the integrity of the ACC Football Championship Game by evaluating each of the three teams in contention (Clemson, Miami and Notre Dame) based on a nine-game conference schedule,” a statement from the ACC said.
Undefeated Notre Dame holds all tiebreakers over one-loss Clemson and one-loss Miami — with a head-to-head win over the Tigers who have a head-to-head win over the Hurricanes. Therefore, the Irish have secured a spot in the ACC Championship game in their first season as a conference member.
Notre Dame’s home finale against Syracuse on Saturday will now wrap up the team’s regular season, giving the team two weeks to prepare for the ACC title game Dec. 19 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
On Tuesday, Notre Dame announced that Wednesday’s home opener for the men’s basketball team was canceled. The game against Western Michigan was called off due to the unavailability of players on Western Michigan’s roster, the University said.
The Irish were also planning on playing Purdue Fort Wayne this Saturday with the tipoff originally scheduled for 11 a.m. It was announced on Wednesday, however, that this game was also off due to positive COVID-19 tests within the Purdue Fort Wayne Program.
The Irish will now look to open their home schedule next Tuesday, Dec. 8, in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge against the No. 23-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes. The game is scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. tipoff ET.