Former basketball assistant coach Ryan Ayers charged with voyeurism, domestic battery

Former Notre Dame men’s basketball assistant coach Ryan Ayers has been charged with three counts of voyeurism and one of domestic battery, amounting to two Level Six felony charges (carrying a sentence of six months-to-2.5 years imprisonment and up to $10,000 in fines) and two misdemeanor charges in the state of Indiana, the South Bend Tribune reported Tuesday. Ayers was dismissed from the program Sept. 21 with no reason provided for why he was leaving.

The four charges against Ayers all occurred on Jan. 1, 2018. Court documents indicate the voyeurism charges were perpetrated by the use of a camera and knowingly peeping into the occupied dwelling of another person. As of this time, no further details have been released on the domestic battery charge.

Ayers was a former guard for the Irish under head coach Mike Brey from 2005 to 2009. He saw action in all of his four seasons, appearing in 117 games and making 51 starts. Ayers averaged 6.5 PPG and 2.4 RPG with 106 assists and 72 steals during his Notre Dame career.

Ayers also served as team captain during the 2008-2009 season. Currently, Ayers is fourth in the Notre Dame record book in three point shooting percentage at 42.4%. Ayers was also known for his defense and performance in the classroom, as he was a part of the Big East All-Academic All-Star team in three of his four seasons.

After some playing time in the NBA D-League and overseas, Ayers took up coaching. He began his career at Bucknell, serving as an assistant coach from 2014-2016.

Ayers was hired as the assistant coach at Notre Dame before the 2016-2017 season. With his background as a guard, Ayers had an immediate impact on the Irish backcourt with V.J. Beachem, Matt Farrell and Steve Vasturia all earning honorable mention All-ACC honors in his first season.